Other Tweeking Cheap Kits

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Been trying out cheap kits thanks to this thread. Just started a 6 gallon Cabernet kit (Wild Grapes kit) and to spice things up this time I added a grape pack from Musto Grape company. They told me the pack is 99% cab and 1% Merlot. Odd combo. It looks identical to the grape skin packs you get in high quality kits. They also have found it adds around 2 to 3 brix. So I figured I wouldn't be able to make a 5 gallon kit, and I like to make a little extra anyway due to trub loss. I also added the supplied oak powder plus 6 oz of oak chips AND 1 Tablespoon on tannin. It came out to 26.5 Brix at 5.5 gallons. Should be a "big" cab! Also was curious I measured the PH and it was really low, 3.1. From this and the added Brix I used the supplied EC-1118.

Just racked the Chablis prior to bottling in 2 days. Had to take a taste, really good. The Grapefruit zest is noticed, but not too forward. Color is a very light golden yellow and even the dregs in the bottom are clear. Added a couple of K-meta tabs crushed in warm water and will let it sit with a water lock for 2 day and bottle. Really looking forward to seeing what this is like 2 months from now after bottle shock is past.

Joe, thanks for the tip on that Grapefruit, worked great. Now on to the Rose for Late Spring and Summer.

Baron 4406 3.1 is a good pH. Not over powering, but noticable.
Keep thinking outside the box and have fun in your wine making adventure.
I like that grape pack also ,great potential in usages.think about it.

Last edited:
Jpwatkins9..
Yes the zest makes a difference, you should try an Orange zest and make a Sangria it comes out really nice.
Keep thinking outside the box,and keep us informed.

Ditto to the Orange zest!
I put heavy orange zest in a Strawberry and Pineapple Wine.
Turned out to be very nice.
Few bottles left.

Yes Joe I agree I'd have to see what it ends up after the primary, that's a bit low for an MLF but with these cheap "drinkers" I skip that expensive step. Also having that low of PH + high alcohol means I have less sulfite requirements for aging. Also there are alot of grape skins in that kit so I'm gonna do an extended maceration for around 8 weeks. I did this with a few skin kits and they taste ready to drink after that. It really mellows everything out.

I personally think it's a step to far for kits and really doesn't benifit the wine.
Ive never done it but hay to each their own.

Has any one added spices to red wine kits (concentrate)? If so, which ones and in what concentration/quantity?
I am curious as I started a kit and added whole coffee beans (about 5 tbsp), black pepper corns (about 2 tbsp), dried red hot peppers (2 whole ones), and two fresh red peppers (sliced no seeds).
So, far the result is, well, tasty, but I think next time I would not add fresh red peppers, only dried ones.
Thoughts? Recipes?

Coffee beans at 5 tbl sp sounds like far too much, peppercorns I have seen used at about 1 per litre but the finished wine is very pepper forward.

I'm not sure if someone referred to MLF upstream, but note that MLF is not recommended for kits anyway. Kit guru Tim Vandergrift says "it'll wind up in tears."

Yes I know but some of my cheap drinkers were juice + grapes, I only recently went the cheap kit route. I guess I wasn't clear that going this route meant I can skip the MLF

I have been guilty of lurking around this thread for the past 6 months. My husband started my addiction by giving me small batch starter kit last Christmas; I have made 5 of the 1 gallon Master Vintner Kits to date without tweaks, Three 1 gallon recipes from juice and juice concentrate from The Joy of Winemaking with a few of my own tweaks, and a 5 gallon recipe of the popular Apfelwein on this site.

After success with these things I was ready to move on to bigger kits!! In May I started the Fontana Malbec by reducing to 5gals - primary additions were 1 cup med french oak and 1 Tbsp tannins. I totally spaced adding anything in the secondary! I racked a few times and bottled the weekend before Halloween. It is definitely more fruit forward and not as oaked as I would hope, but far better than I expected. I have a hard time keeping my hands off it and don't want to gift any of it to anyone *hehehehe*

I just started the Fontana Cabernet Sauvignon!!!!

11/04
OG - 1.112
Made to 5.5 gallons
Primary Additions:
1 cup Zante Currants
1 cup med french oak
2 cups simple syrup
1Tbs Tannins

11/06 SG 1.06 - not foaming nor did it make a 'cap' but fermentation is definitely happening

Secondary Plan:
1Tbs Tannins
1 1/2 Cup med american oak

I also just started I have a 5 gallon batch of Cherry/Apple wine in primary made with a fresh pressed apple blend a local Cider company uses to make their cider and fresh cherries.

And because I am a glutton for punishment - I just order the Fontana Shiraz and it will be starting that on Friday night. I haven't quite decided what tweaks for it yet. I do have more cherries lying around the kitchen, however I am not sure I want to go that route. I recall someone (maybe Joeswine) saying not to change the Shiraz too much; just an Fpac and tannins.

Sharaz is a bit more fruit forward then the rest of the wines.keep in mind less is more try not to over power the base complement it.
Start off with a plan then have fun.

I've got a batch of Dragon Blood finishing up primary fermentation. It is a triple berry version, blackberries, raspberries and blueberries. I've got a Fontana Merlot and Malbec I need to start. What would you think about starting either on the yeast slurry from the Dragon Blood?

Not a all... keep wine with wine and db with db..
With the merlo.. blackberries
With the Melbac.,..black currents

Racked my Australian trio (cheap 7L kit) into gallon jugs to age for a while. Had some surplus that wasn't enough to save so had to sample it. I did a fpac of raspberries and currants and reduced from 6 to 5 gal. Little light bodied for me, and the raspberry is definitely there, (albeit not overwhelming) but quite drinkable now. Will probably bottle after Christmas and let age a bit. So glad for the information and tips in this forum!

Next I'll have a 7L pinot noir kit. Debating what kind of fpac to add to that. Will have to go back to my tasting wheels and see what flavours I can complement. I'm open to suggestions!

Try and stay with on enhancement dotn try and over mix then the flavor profile gets confusing to the plalate.
Keep checking on your SG.at the 5/5.5 and even the 6 gallon mark
Concentrates change in strength .

Latest posts

Back