Wetting my feet

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hllbly66

Junior
Reaction score
Ok after countless hours of reading and you tube, I decided to get my feet wet before taking the plunge. I decided to go with a one gallon batch as recommended in a book I am reading. I didn't follow the authors directions precisely but close. I used two cans of Welches apple cherry 100%, juice from 2 lemons, pectic enzyme and let set 24 hrs.(OG 1.086) Then stirred vigorously and added Red starr cotes des blancs and yeast nutrient. It is fermenting very well right now, looks like a chemistry experiment.( very entertaining to watch) My primary is a one gallon glass jug with a airlock. Should I stir this everyday? will it be drinkable? Any suggestions.Thank

How long has it been in the primary? Yes, you should stir it, twice a day. Next time don't put it in a jug with an air lock, put it in an open crock with a Saran Wrap or towel top. When your SG reaches 1.020 - 1.010, rack it into the jug and top with an airlock. Rack again in a month and continue to rack until there are no deposits in the bottom of the jug. Then let it sit for a few months and drink it. You should wind up with a SG of under 1.0, if you want it sweeter, add some sorbitol and sweeten to taste.
And by all means start another batch of something in a couple of weeks!

Thanks for the info Winorick, I started on mon. added yeast on tues. today will be day 4. I will not be doing any more one gallon batches any more. I have everything ready For five gallon batch of Blue Berry Vintners Havest 2cans. Don't want to screw it up (70.00 invest in blue berries).

Latest posts

Back