WineXpert Sick of KT bad reviews on winexpert

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree. Extended maceration, lengthy barrel time and bottle age are key. Three years is the money window

I do like these KT threads. Such fun with the same old ideas recirculated and some real truths when the 'only make it from real grapes and kits taste different'. The psychological kt idea is funny.
Here we go:
1. Who exactly owns all these kit brands? You will be 'very' surprised.
2. Which factory are they made in?
3. Has anybody analysed the kit contents for exactly what ingredients make a kit?
4. Make a wine using just grapes and a kit wine. Compare!
5. Which grapes and what percentage are used in a kit?
6. What else is added?
7. Does the kit say a type of grape or grape type like sauvignon blanc? Is it? feel free to be laissez faire.
8. Is there a pure varietal grape kit on the market? Nope! That answer came from the manufacturer. Exclude mosti mondiale at this point possibly!
9. Does a kit contain concord grapes or similar type for example?
10. Have anybody done an analysis of a kit for the exact constituents and type of grapes. Nope!
11. Is there such a thing as kit taste? Yup and it has a chemical name. Look at concord grapes. Not everybody can taste the chemical. it is a bit like the thiourea taste test. You have a genetic disposition.
12. Go through the process of making kits and eliminating chemicals. it is such fun! Then make wine from real grapes.
!3. Most commercial wines sold in bulk are not aged for very long these days and taste really OK. Even the cheap stuff is ok.

When you have the answers you will never refer to KT again except to wisely nod you head and say hmmm! in a knowing way and then carry on with what you were doing before.
Its all good fun and 'KT' adds to the mystery of kits. Nobody knows except the clever company that sells them.
They do know the answer of course and you will never get the answer from then easily.

Last edited:
I personally know exactly what kit taste is, as I am quite sensitive to it. I have no idea what causes it, but I have found ways of eliminating it.

1 - I find the longer you bulk age, the more the kit taste disappears. I find 12 months minimum does the trick.
2 - Skipping the addition of Sorbate helps for some reason.
3 - The more concentrated the juice, the more "kit taste" there seems to be. However, since I started bulk aging all my reds a minimum of 12 months, and all my whites a minimum of 6 months, I haven't encountered any KT regardless of how concentrated the juice is (as little as 10L all the way to 18L kits).

Having said that, here are my favourite WE kits so far. I have done over 25 kits since I started 2 years ago.

1. WE Selection international Tempranillo w/grapeskins - Discontinued :(
2. LE 15 Barbera
3. WE Selection Chilean Malbec

Last edited:
Back