Quick sanitation question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

femki

Junior
Reaction score
I'm on day 3 of my first ever ferment - skeeter pee and I have a question about keeping k-meta solution. I crushed 3 campden tabs and mixed them with about 1L of water and have been keeping it in a mason jar. I use it to clean out my baster (thief), hydrometer cylinder, and hydrometer. When I'm done with it, I just put it back in the mason jar and keep it in the cupboard. Is this how all you guys do this? Will this keep indefinitely, or will I have to pitch it at some point?

Thanks!

Think you mite be a little weak for the sanitizing solution. Not sure how much more you will have to add, but I would maybe double what you put in. As for how long it is lasting, I usually use the ol nose test, but be very careful. I open the jar and wave my hand over it towards my nose to see if it is still strong. Doubt that is the correct way, but thats how I do it. It lasts for quite a while if you keep it covered, but does loose its poop after a while. Good luck with it, Arne.

Thanks Arne. I'm getting over a cold so my sniffer isn't working too good. Didn't notice any smell once I mixed the crushed tabs with water. I'll add another 3 - 4 to the jar.

The smell sometimes takes a few days to come. Typically we add 3 tbs of meta per gallon. Using powder is a lot easier then the tablets plus it dissolves easier.

I might be reading your post wrong, but I don't reuse mine. I put it in a spray bottle and spray down my equipment and let it drip off. if I have to pour some in a container or something to swish around (like a carboy or bottle), I just dump that down the drain in case it has any unwanted "floaties" in it.

I might be reading your post wrong, but I don't reuse mine. I put it in a spray bottle and spray down my equipment and let it drip off. if I have to pour some in a container or something to swish around (like a carboy or bottle), I just dump that down the drain in case it has any unwanted "floaties" in it.
Excellent point. I also keep a spray bottle for the same thing. I do keep a gallon jug around to refill my spray bottle or other uses. I keep meta in all of my empty carboys with a solid bung. If I use one of those carboys, I do transfer the meta to another and reuse it. I am positive me carboys are clean when I put it in and I'm not worried about trnsferring it.

Latest posts

Back