Learning To Keg

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nursejohn

Reaction score
I am getting ready to learn to keg beer in a 5 gallon "corny" keg. I have a used fridge in my garage that I want to turn into a kegerator. My question is, will it hurt to keep my 5 pound CO2 tank inside the fridge beside the keg or is it necessary to have the CO2 on the outside of the fridge. Thanks for any advice, John.

I keep my tank in the fridge... I'm sure there's some advantage to keeping the gas at a warmer temp, but it's been working great for me. Of course, you may be able to fit more brew in the fridge if the tank sits outside.
Here's my setup:

http://www.winemakingtalk.com/images/uploads/1893/kef1.JPG[/img]

keg2.JPG

I keep mine in the fridge too. The gauge showing how much CO2leftin the tank will not be as accurate in the cold fridge, but so what. When the co2 runs out get it refilled and you're back in business.

Kegging is the only way to go! You'llnever want tobottle again.

The only 2 advantages to having the C02 tank outside are room and reading the gauge. The gauge will read pretty far off making it look like you are almost out when in fact you are still full so beware of that if you keep the tank in the fridge.

I like to keep 13psi serving pressure. To do this without foaming you need about 10' of serving hose. this way I get nicely carbonated brew. Shorter hoses will get you lower CO2 volumes

Latest posts

Back