Another Degassing question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

termini

Reaction score
I have read, and tried myself to use the hand held vacuum pump to degass my Island mist Strawberry. I did see alot of small bubbles in the beginning, and now mostly get larger bubbles when I place vacuum on it again ( I originally vacuumed it for about 5 minutes)Can I assume that it has been sucessfully degassed, and all I am mostly doing now is releasing CO 2?
My REAL question is: If I follow the directions in the kit to the letter,including the degassing step( I used a paddle with a cordless drill and stayed away from the vortex by swithing back and forth from fwd and rev)---Is the additional degassing with a vacuum a method of fine tuning the final results for that extra bit more of quality, or is it truly advisable to do it because I will see a much better finished product??
My wife has, I think ,the greatest analogy ( in my opinion)when we explain how easy it is to make these wines from a kit- especialy when we get the comments of " boy, that looks hard"--She says " not at all, its about the same as making a cake from the box!" -- Bless her heart.

smiley2.gif
thats right you won the prise the answer is( all the above) you have just finished doing all the necessary steps in creatting a good finish product,my fine vine vinofriend and the extra care is worth it,don't you think?

The ultimate test for "am I done degassing" is to thief a little wine out of the carboy and taste it. If you taste any fizziness, you are not done.

I concur with those fellas but will add that those bigger bubbles are usually a tell tale.

Latest posts

Back