Other Argentia Ridge Chateau Reviews?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spikedlemon

Reaction score
Really a question for the Canadians (or Americans living in Canada) who've done the Argentia Ridge Chateau kits. These are the 7L double-kits.

Any reviews, comments or feedback on them?

I just noticed that Costco's got the kits on sale ($15 off) for the next week.

I've got the Merlot but it's really only a few weeks old now and I did some tweaking so I don't think it's representative of the series.

Really a question for the Canadians (or Americans living in Canada) who've done the Argentia Ridge Chateau kits. These are the 7L double-kits.

Any reviews, comments or feedback on them?

I just noticed that Costco's got the kits on sale ($15 off) for the next week.

I've got the Merlot but it's really only a few weeks old now and I did some tweaking so I don't think it's representative of the series.

The kits are Great for the price on Sale, that is ~$59 or so. I've made home-made wine from real grapes and kits for several years now.

Normally when I make my wines (kits too) I use half teaspoon of Potassium metabisulphite and that's it (for storing). I forego the sorbate all together. I find the amount of preservatives in the kits are too much and create an off-taste. Just sanitize your equipment and you'll be fine.

The betonite, chitosan and kieselsol packets are used for clearing and are fine. I use these in my fresh grapes too as I don't have an expensive filter.

I made the second half of the Merlot kit.
Despite making it at 5Gal rather than 6gal and starting it on the lees (and "skins") of a higher end kit: it's a very light wine.
Drinkable but light. I have no problems serving it to others.

I have the Cab Sauv kit as well; I've not started it yet as it's waiting for me to make space (carboy space).

Just ordered the Argentia Ridge Coast Reserve Amarone and the Argentia Ridge Chateau Private Selection Pinot Grigio, both highly recommended! Like you, I have no room to start them but will certainly let you know how they turn out. Looking forward to hearing your review on the Cab Sauv, Spikedlemon!

I have the Amarone one as well waiting to be bottled. That'll be, likely, this weekend.

My stolen tastes from the carboy are that it's a decent wine. More of a regular Valpolicella than Amarone or Val. Reserve.

How long have you been aging the Amarone, Spikedlemon? We have only been making wine since mid July, haven't aged any in the carboy, usually bottle around 6 weeks. Will age some of our more recent ones though as many experienced members here believe it makes a difference.

I just bought the chardoney kit and i am starting it this week. The price was good. Comes with the labels, corks, and shrink covers.

How long have you been aging the Amarone, Spikedlemon? We have only been making wine since mid July, haven't aged any in the carboy, usually bottle around 6 weeks. Will age some of our more recent ones though as many experienced members here believe it makes a difference.

It's about 4 months in the carboy now.

I just finished bottling the Costco Argentia Ridge chardoney and it turn out really nice. I picked another kit to store in my arsenal because they had them on foe 60 bucks again for the 60 bottle kit. That works out to a dollar a bottle. I would recommend the kit to other people.

The Amarone has been bottled now for a while and, along with the Merlot, they're both about 6months since starting the kit.

The Merlot is, actually, a decent drinkable every-day wine. It was made on the lees & raisins of the Amarone and filled only to 5gal rather than 6gal. I have received nothing but complements on the Merlot from all who've tasted it.

The Amarone, perhaps, needs more time. It tastes rather harsh to me.

In light of the Merlot success: I started a Cab Sauv (that smells delicious!) double-batch.

I did an extended maceration on my last Costco 23L Amarone (35days) added a Mosti Mondiale grape pack and some currants and I found it really mellowed the Amarone out. It was just on sale two weeks ago so I bought another.

I just opened a bottle of the Amarone a week ago and it 'shows promise'. It needs more time, to me, but isn't terrible.

I made the second half of the Merlot kit.
Despite making it at 5Gal rather than 6gal and starting it on the lees (and "skins") of a higher end kit: it's a very light wine.
Drinkable but light. I have no problems serving it to others.

I have the Cab Sauv kit as well; I've not started it yet as it's waiting for me to make space (carboy space).

Hi there, I made one batch at 5Gal also. The wine is very fruity and kind of sweet. Could it be because of the higher juice concentration or because I fermented it primarily at around 18 degrees Celsius (64F). Or should I age it longer? I bottled it 3 weeks ago.

My wife and I still love the wine but would like to make the next batch a bit drier. Please advise. Thanks!

The Amarone has been bottled now for a while and, along with the Merlot, they're both about 6months since starting the kit.

The Merlot is, actually, a decent drinkable every-day wine. It was made on the lees & raisins of the Amarone and filled only to 5gal rather than 6gal. I have received nothing but complements on the Merlot from all who've tasted it.

The Amarone, perhaps, needs more time. It tastes rather harsh to me.

In light of the Merlot success: I started a Cab Sauv (that smells delicious!) double-batch.
Hi there, did you find the merlot a bit sweet and fruity since making 5 gallons instead of 6? Mine is a bit sweet and fruity but everybody loves it still. How long does it take to mature? Do you bulk-age?

Hi there, did you find the merlot a bit sweet and fruity since making 5 gallons instead of 6? Mine is a bit sweet and fruity but everybody loves it still. How long does it take to mature? Do you bulk-age?

I made mine mid-last year as a 5gal. I've only about 4-5 bottles left of it. It does not taste sweet but, rather, a little fruity.

I'm not a fan of the scent of Merlot in general but the wine tastes, to me, like I would expect of a mid-priced generic Merlot (true to form). It's garnered nothing but complements all around from guests.

The Amarone, now that it's been 9 months, is starting to taste nice. I think, in retrospect, I would make this one again with no tweaks. But, at $100, I would consider getting a higher end kit with proper skins from WE or KR for similar price. I wouldn't think that it's a full 24L of juice and I suspect it's a nicer re-constituted concentrate. I have a WE 10L GSM with skins that tastes just as good that was less expensive.

I made some notes on the Merlot kit here:
http://www.winemakingtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=53677

I made mine mid-last year as a 5gal. I've only about 4-5 bottles left of it. It does not taste sweet but, rather, a little fruity.

I'm not a fan of the scent of Merlot in general but the wine tastes, to me, like I would expect of a mid-priced generic Merlot (true to form). It's garnered nothing but complements all around from guests.

The Amarone, now that it's been 9 months, is starting to taste nice. I think, in retrospect, I would make this one again with no tweaks. But, at $100, I would consider getting a higher end kit with proper skins from WE or KR for similar price. I wouldn't think that it's a full 24L of juice and I suspect it's a nicer re-constituted concentrate. I have a WE 10L GSM with skins that tastes just as good that was less expensive.

I made some notes on the Merlot kit here:
http://www.winemakingtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=53677
Excellent! Thanks for the reply.

I'm keeping the temperature on my second batch a bit higher, hopefully to get rid of some fruitiness and see how it goes as others have suggested that low temps maintain a lot of the juice aromas.

I'll review the notes from the other post.

Thanks again.

Latest posts

Back