Hi from a Newbie/Novice

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lirpa11

Junior
Reaction score
Hello!

Just a young lady from Georgia here :h

I am trying my hand at wine making on a very basic level. Muscadine wine.

I found a recipe online, and I made a fair bit. Now I have fruit fly problems! I'll ask about that in another thread. Just wanted to say hi! I will be nosying around the forum and possibly trying some more recipes!!

Welcome !!

alot of people on this forum have made some great tasting Muscadine wine -

Are you covering up your primary with cheese cloth or a towel ?

Welcome to the Forum
You will find so much to learn here, just use the search tool or ask.

Welcome !!

alot of people on this forum have made some great tasting Muscadine wine -

Are you covering up your primary with cheese cloth or a towel ?

I used cheesecloth, then a towel.

Fruit flies still managed to get in :( And I also had the white film on the wine from a bacteria I believe. It tasted fine, but I can do it better next time. Let the research begin! :ib

The little buggers can even make their way in to airlocks. A nylon fabric will still breathe but should be fine enough to keep 'em out. This will not eliminate the flies from the house. I ferment in the juice bucket and simply lay the lid on it and have had no problems. Of course a cooler climate up here may help keep their presence in check. Welcome to the forum and keep pluggin' on..

The little buggers can even make their way in to airlocks. A nylon fabric will still breathe but should be fine enough to keep 'em out. This will not eliminate the flies from the house. I ferment in the juice bucket and simply lay the lid on it and have had no problems. Of course a cooler climate up here may help keep their presence in check. Welcome to the forum and keep pluggin' on..

Thanks, we were considering putting the wine in a large plastic bucket with a lid next time, and the fine nylon fabric sounds like a great idea! I'll use that next time :)

If you have to you can put a lid with an airlock on it. Just kind of a pain when you go to check on it or stir it. And welcome to the forum. Arne.

Back