Vineco White kits

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

markb1983

Reaction score
Ok my question to you all. For white wines is there really an advantage to making the eclipse or showcase kits? For reds I can understand, it's a no brainer.

Do the selection estates or sterling kits offer the same quality of wine?

The Eclipse Sauvignon Blanc is the best white wine I've made. I've only made a handful of white kits, but it is definitely on top.

I make the Eclipse and Estates chards. The Eclipse is much better but I make both because the Estates is cheaper and doesn't require as long of aging time.

Gotcha both.... Since whites don't need to age long that is why I figured its rather fruitless spending extra money on a non ageable kit.

Ok my question to you all. For white wines is there really an advantage to making the eclipse or showcase kits? For reds I can understand, it's a no brainer.

I would make an ultra premium white over a regular 6 week kit any day of the week. Try one and you be the judge if the extra money was well spent.

cheers

The Selection Estate kits were replaced by the Eclipse line of kits. If there are any still around, they have to be close to 2 years old at this point.

In general, I would make the highest quality kit you can afford.

Better juice = Better wine. It all starts with the grape source. So yes, always go with the highest end kit you can afford. If it list an AVA or region let that to be your guide over some generic juice source.

Call me cheap but I really consider myself being frugal. My wife and others have been very pleased with the $75.00 Pinot Grigio (back sweetened with 2 cups sugar) and $80.00 California Muscat I've made. Both kits are from RJS. I've made the Grigio 3 times now and my wife wants to make sure another is in the works so she doesn't run out.

So, why should I spend big bucks for more expensive kits - even if they do taste better - when wife and others have been completely happy with the wine from lower end kits?

You shouldn't.

If you like what your drinking you should stick with it. If it's not up to par and want to try something higher end then you have plenty of options. Everyone's palette is different.

and for that matter, do white juice buckets offer the same quality.....it is fresh juice pressed and placed into buckets...

So I have a sauvignon blanc kit from winexpert. Its the middle of the road type kit. Any tweaks one would recommend? Would white raisins work?

So, why should I spend big bucks for more expensive kits - even if they do taste better - when wife and others have been completely happy with the wine from lower end kits?

Why go to a movie theater if movies on TV are fine? Why go to a nice restaurant if a McDonalds hamburger is fine?

Now, if there is no difference (Red Robbin hamburgers don't do it for me), then stick with what you like. But if you get a little more enjoyment from a wine from a more expensive kit, sometimes you have to throw caution in the wind and live a little.

So I have a sauvignon blanc kit from winexpert. Its the middle of the road type kit. Any tweaks one would recommend? Would white raisins work?

I added fruit zest to a few high end Sauv Blanc kits and was quite pleased

kit 1 had zest of 2 grapefruit in the secondary - En Primeur

kit 2 had zest of 1 grapefruit, 1 orange, 1 lemon, 1 lime - Eclipse

kit 3 had zest of 1 orange, 1 grapefruit - Eclipse

Joeswine has zesting mentioned in his thinking outside the box threads

cheers

Putterr: Have you made either of those kits without the tweaks? Just curious how you'd rate them with no tweaks, vs tweaks. I've done the Eclipse SB and am really happy with it just following the directions. I'm tempted to tweak it when I make it again in 2015. But there's a small part of me that says "If it ain't broke, don't fix it".

Jim

Not yet but I have a EP Sauv Blanc waiting in the wings and I'm thinking of doing it straight up. IMHO these high end whites are great no matter which way you go. I made the EP Pinot Grigio, EP Riesling Gewürztraminer, EP Australia Chardonnay as per instructions and they were all fantastic. I did a second EP Chard in the spring with the battonage technique but haven't bottled it yet (2 weeks) so can't comment. I bottle my whites at 6 months.

Start with zest of one grapefruit and see what you think.

cheers

Putterrr,
Is the EP Riesling Gewurztraminer a dry kit or is it designed to be sweet(er)?

I have been drinking the 2012 Chateau Ste. Michelle Gewurztraminer which I really like. I am not a white wine drinker but do enjoy this one. It is 12.5% ABV with 1.6g residual sugar. 98% Gewurztraminer and 2% Muscat. Would like to find one like this to make.

It all starts with the quality of the juice just like in a kit wine. Bad fruit makes for crappy wine. Not all Juice Buckets are the same. In theory it should make a fine product IF the juice and all the associated numbers are up to par.

and for that matter, do white juice buckets offer the same quality.....it is fresh juice pressed and placed into buckets...

Putterr: Have you made either of those kits without the tweaks? Just curious how you'd rate them with no tweaks, vs tweaks. I've done the Eclipse SB and am really happy with it just following the directions. I'm tempted to tweak it when I make it again in 2015. But there's a small part of me that says "If it ain't broke, don't fix it".

I did the zesting the other way . I put some grapefruit zest in vodka for 3 weeks and strained it with a coffee filter . (learned it from Joeswine ) . You can add this to your finished wine . You only need to add a small amount . This way you can tweak just one bottle of your wine .If you like it do few more bottles re cork and age them some more .:b

Mark,

I'm new (have one white WE World in bottles and an Italian Selection Pinot Grigio in secondary along with two more WE whites in inventory) so take this with a grain of salt.

Most if not all whites are not fermented on the skins, so I don't think adding raisins is the right route. As to other tweaks, I'm just following directions at this point so I too await some good pointers.

Putterrr, when you zest, are you skinning the citrus, and then using a tool to remove the zest from the outer (colored) skin or just using the whole thing?

Best, Fran

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back