What's in your glass tonight?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A Last Bottle offer about a year ago. 2014 Rotie Cellars Southern Blend. A GMS blend from WA State. I knew I had to decant this so I opened it and decanted it for ~90min or so. Dang amazing juice but keeps gettin better with more and more air time.

Very nice as Borat would say!

1611967804794.png

Last edited:
Not drinking one of my mine this evening. I bought what I thought was a quaffing wine at a special price at the supermarket to have with a casual sausage and fresh salad items in a summer evening (Southern Hemispheres). To my surprise the wine was an absolute stunner. In fact ( I didn't notice this when I plucked it off the shelf) - it was a 2016 Hawkes Bay (NZ) Merlot Cabernet blend. I’m back to the supermarket tomorrow to buy a doz. a lovely surprise.1E6EE94A-5D28-491A-B64C-82F0DDD1D523.jpeg

I thought that was a nice wine too, and a good price.

I tried that Rioja reserve too. I'll be interested to hear what you think.

The Rioja went down on our last taco night. Also very good, but I think the Malbec is a better wine for the (little) money. Still very enjoyable and definitely worth buying again.

The Rioja went down on our last taco night. Also very good, but I think the Malbec is a better wine for the (little) money. Still very enjoyable and definitely worth buying again.

I thought that Rioja Reserve was good but underwhelming. I was expecting "great" and normally for me, Spanish wines over deliver, but I thought it was good, but not great. Maybe I'm being too critical. I may have to try another bottle.....(in the interest of research, of course :i).

I thought that Rioja Reserve was good but underwhelming. I was expecting "great" and normally for me, Spanish wines over deliver, but I thought it was good, but not great. Maybe I'm being too critical. I may have to try another bottle.....(in the interest of research, of course :i).

I think that's a fair assessment. I agree with Spanish wines typically over delivering. This one delivered, but not overly so. Certainly worth the price of admission, but I think there are better QPR wines out there. Still not unhappy with it though.

2011 was George. This was 2012 and my first year getting Lodi grapes from the Club in Denver. This was a blend of 85% Zin, 9% Syrah, 6% Petit Sirah. Modeled after the wine with the same name made by the Prisoner Winer Co. It is not over the hill by any means.

Refresh my memory, @ibglowin what's the blend? Those were grapes from George, right?

Opened the Malbec last night. Excellent!
I have been underwhelmed by the Kirkland label wines. I tried their brut Champagne, but at $20 USD it was not as good as the Korbel Brut at $13. I easily found better wines at a lower cost.

That said, I'll give the Rioja and Malbec a shot if they are available locally. Rioja is normally a REALLY good value, especially for a wine with a bit of age.

It appears that Costco pays attention to customer feedback, as I've found some of the Kirkland labeled product improved over time. So I'll give their wines another shot.

Latest posts

Back