Grow Tubes

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Grow tubes have their place but aren't that necessary. They can help protect young vines from hungry critters and spray drift from herbicides. Shoots tend to grow longer and thinner with their use- which isn't necessarily always good. It is a personnal choice you will need to make.

What is everyone's experiences with them?

I used them this year but I cut them in half. I only wanted the critter and herbicide protection and it worked well. I don't think it had any impact on the size. I don't honk I would want to use them full length.

I guess your vines did not grow very high. Mine have always extended above 36 inch grow tubes and trimmed by deer. I started adding another on top or raising the grow tube up so as to protect the vine.
You are correct if you have deer and want to keep your weeds down by spraying Roundup better use Grow tubes.

I like using them to help keep them up right with out a lot of tying them up. Just a bamboo pole in the ground with the tube for the first year.

I noticed that the vines grew well, but when I took the shelters off this fall, the vine inside the tube was very thin compared to what was outside the tube. Mine are all first year vines so they'll be cut back anyway, but the vines definitely get stunted inside the tube. Not sure if I'll use them again next year or not.

I used them this this year most for 'protective purposes'. almost every vine grew out the top. whether or not the tubes helped facilitate that I can't be certain.

I used them on my Pinot Noir vines, but lost two-thirds during an extremely cold snap several years ago. I wonder if it was because the grow tubes made them perhaps more spindly than otherwise (and thus more susceptible to the cold...) but, I don't know. I used the blue tubes but on such a small vineyard my experience may not be worth much!

I have used them and have seen extra growth, but they must be removed by Sept. 1 to let the vines harden off or the first frost will probably kill them.

Hans

Latest posts

Back