New Barrel

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jackie

Reaction score
Just go my new Vadai oak barrel Friday. I rehydrated it yest according to the instructions and today it's all dry except there's about an inch or two of wetness right around the bung. I'm thinking I should just go ahead and fill it. Anyone have any experience with barrels?

Jackie,

If there is no seeping or leakage and the level of water inside is good, you should be in good straights. The concern in rehydrating is whether or not there is a proper seal. The longer that barrel sat before use, for instance, and especially without any plastic wrap to attempt to hold moisture in, the more the barrel would dry out and leakage can become a concern.

I normally wait for two days to verify, but if the outside of the barrel is essentially dry and inside is all full of water, it sounds like you're good to go. Be sure and verify that the stopper isn't wicking liquid out as welll, though.

- Jim

Thanks Jim. There was no leaks.I let it sit an extra day just to be sure. I was just using the wooden bung for the rehydration but I have a silicone bung I'll normally use. I went ahead and put aMaster's Outback Chardonnay in to ferment then I'm going to ferment the Chardasia in it then go to reds. I talked to Sandor Vadai and he told me if I kept getting moisture around the bung, he'd send me a little beeswax and that would take care of it.

Latest posts

Back