Cellar Craft CC Showcase Amarone

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

K&GB

Reaction score
I got my kit from George this past week, but it may be a while before I can start it. I took a look inside and noticed it comes with two packs of untoasted American oak saw dust to be added during primary. I plan to pour these into the strainer bag with the grape pack. But what about oak during bulk aging? I would appreciate any tips from those of you who've made this kit in the past. Thanks in advance.

Ken

After I stabilized mine I let it sit on a couple of med plus oak spirals for 8 weeks. Also I did not even bother with the straining bag, its easier for me just to strain the wine through a sieve. Mine is now bulk aging but I did get a small sip and this is going to be a very, very good wine. I just hope it will be ready about the time we finish off the Mosti Renaissance Amarone which is also a very good wine.
VPC

Thanks vcasey. Can't wait to start this one. Seems it takes quite a while to age.

Hopefully it turns out to be a very nice wine. I just racked my CC Cabernet Reserve to secondary and it looks very promising. I would agree about adding the oak dust to the strainer bag. I didn't and it's a real pain to get the oak powder to mix into the must. Good Luck with this one and let us know how it turns out. I would love to try an Amarone. I've never had one but everyone says they are excellent.

I have heard the same, so I just put it away and next year I'll bottle a gallon and keg the rest for long term aging. I think I will use the 375s for the gallon that I'm bottling, just to stretch it out. So far I have been very happy with every CC kit I've made.
VPC

Started the Amarone tonight. SG 1.104

20090411_193022_IMG_0315_Small.JPG

And so the long wait begins....
smiley1.gif

That looks awful close to the top Ken. I hope the foam doesn't overflow! They have such a nice deep dark color to them. I bet the smell is great.

Do NOT snap the lid on. Just let it "sit" on top till it gets to 1.020ish

? do you always ferment in a bucket with a spigot?

Looks good Ken, Ive got a couple of Mosti's Amarone ,been in the bottle little over a year. Starting to get really good! Cant imagine the two and three year mark with this one!Keep us posted on the CC! It must be meant for you, I ran the spell checker and it suggested Marine in place of Amarone!
smiley36.gif

LMAO, JW
smiley36.gif
Yep, it's definitely too full with that large grape pack in there. But this is the largest primary I have. I've decided to wait 24 hrs for the yeast to colonize the must and then drain off a gallon into a smaller bucket. I've done several of these CC grape pack kits and at least two have overflowed the primary around the 2-3 day mark. Don't want to waste any of this one!
smiley2.gif
Oh, and I never snap the lid on tight. I just lay it on there to keep the dust out.

that picture has me worried....did you leave it sitting on that cooler? its an accident waiting to happen...unless there is a contest to see who canlick the mostwine off the floor :)

So for those of you who were worried about an overflow...

20090412_170641_IMG_0344_Small.JPG

I've employed a redneck solution.
smiley36.gif

Poured the small bucket back into the the larger primary this morning, now that the frothy stage is passed. Just gotta be careful when I stir.

20090414_051044_IMG_0349_Small.JPG

Ken, that sounds like it is going to be good. I have a WE amarone kit in the primary now.
My MM amarone that came with raisins turned out wonderful!
Letus know what oak you choose for this one.
Maybe the wine puppies can help you on the decision.
smiley4.gif

Tepe, yes the whole house smells good!
smiley4.gif
The Amarone is out in the open kitchen.I can smell it when I walk in the front door at night. Unfortunately, not everyone appreciates it like I do.
smiley24.gif

UAV, me and the wine puppies will have to put our heads togather on that one.
smiley2.gif

I used a med. toast plus on my CC Amarone. The MM Renascence kit came with a dark oak and we loved that so I went the same for this kit.
VPC

Thanks, but was that French, American, Hungarian, or....Bulgarian oak?

Back