a drop of 48 in one night ????

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xdodge

Junior
Reaction score
I just started a Bach of blackberry/current. All was great, had a starting sg of 1091, 36 hours latter I'm reading 1043, I have never had one drop this fast. Has anyone ever seen this?????

Never heard of a Back! If thats abouts 1 gallon then yes Ive seen it many times.

My first wine batch, 3 gallons of Elderberry, was racked to secondary in only 5 days. It dropped from 1.102 to .996. I don't know how or why. The secondary has slowed considerably in 5 days.

I've had them drop 15-20 overnight but never that much. Will take another reading in the morning.

OK then I highly doubt it dropped that much overnight. Id say it needs a good stir to get a more accurate reading. Im also guessing you didnt dissolve the sugar in hot water 1st either.

I sturred it with a power drill for a good 5 minutes, but I pored the sugar in a bit at a time while using the drill. I will give it a good sturring again tonight and see what I get for a reading. Thanks

I sturred it with a power drill for a good 5 minutes, but I pored the sugar in a bit at a time while using the drill. I will give it a good sturring again tonight and see what I get for a reading. Thanks

That method of adding sugar doesn't work well. It's not likely the sugar is completely dissolved into the must. At the time, the must was probably room temperature, so the sugar just couldn't really dissolve; it is likely mostly in the bottom of the fermenter container. Only real issue is you may never get a reliable starting SG reading, which only means you won't get a reliable indication of the final ABV... not really a big deal, though.

You will need to stir regularly from the bottom. Over time the sugar will mostly dissolve.

Next time put the sugar in as little hot water as possible. Stir until it is completely (100%) dissolved; then add that to the must.

Also - what is the temperature of your fermentation? High temps can cause a vigorous fermentation.

Fast Fermenters

Last Saturday I started 3 gallons of Jalapeno Mint wine which is made with apple cider and banana as a base. My starting SG was 1.085. I put the wine in the secondary this morning, 5 days after starting. The SG now is 1.002. It's still fermenting, giving off gas on its own.

Happy fermenting,
Paul

OK, did anothen 5 minute stur with the power drill....took SG and it was 1026????
This is the fastest fermintation I have ever seen. Temp is a steady 72. Time will tell

Paul, Tell me more about your Jalapeno-Mint wine! Have you done this one before? is it for sipping? I have done Jalapeno wines primarily for marinating steaks but the Jalapeno Mint is interesting.
Thanks, pjd

Don't be worried.

I had an apple wine once starting at 1.085 and finishing in just 3 days !!!!

The yeast is very happy when a thing like this happens every once in a while.

Luc

Latest posts

Back