My Introduction

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello. My name is Ed and I am from Northeast PA. I recently got interested in home wine brewing, and after a few weeks of research, started my first two batches of wine on August 27th-Elderberry and Blueberry. Both of these have been racked once already. Amazingly, the Elderberry went from 1.102SG to .996SG in only 5 days, and the Blueberry went from 1.105SG to 1.036SG in 7 days. Yesterday I started my second batch of Elderberry.

I am operating with 5 gallon Primary Fermenting buckets and only producing in 3 gallon batches since I got five 3-gallon carboys for $41, but with only $212 invested that is working out to about $4.63/bottle right now. Who can buy decent wine for $4.63/bottle?

My sister had a fire about 5 years ago and passed away last December. While going through her stuff this past weekend, we found 4 bottles of very good clarity wine marked "Orange". Since the bottles still had soot on them, we figure the were from her fire 5 years ago. After we determined the few impurities floating around in the bottles was cork pieces, we cleaned and opened a bottle and enjoyed it immensely!

Anyway...I am hoping that my experiences and the experiences of others can be both educational fulfilling. I am enjoying this hobby so far, and find myself watching the airlocks bubble!

Anyway...hello to all!

Welcome to the forum. One thing on fruit wine you don't want the sg to go over 1.085 -1.090 or you will loose your fruit flavor and have more alcohol taste

Welcome to forum, glad you found us. Feel free to ask questions anytime and we'll do our best to walk you through it. We need more people from PA here so once again, welcome!

Hooray!!! Another PA winemaker. Welcome to the forum. :sm

Cmon already!!! Another PA'er, you guys are out of control over there!! LOL, welome ed and glad to have you aboard.

Cmon already!!! Another PA'er, you guys are out of control over there!! LOL, welome ed and glad to have you aboard.

Isn't there a forum rule as to how many Pa'ers we can have on this forum Welcome

Hi Ed,

Welcome to winemakingtalk. Another Pa'er :db

Welcome to the forum. Learn a lot and have fun! Then pass it on.

Welcome to the forum,Ed. I think you will like it and learn from it.

Latest posts

Back