What to do with that old barrel.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mike, I am starting to see more and more furniture and accessories made out of old barrels. These stools are the best I've seen so far.

That beats the hell out of a rain collecting barrel or a planter. I always thought that barrels looked great as "lawn furnishings" though.

Now that is really cool!

I'd love to find some good used neutral 6 gallon barrels. They would not become furniture for a long, long time.

I scored a couple nice ones last year for $50 each. Not good for wine anymore but had been stored inside and were perfect. Have one on the front porch and one on the back porch. Would love a couple more to make planters out of. Not like the ones at the nursery though.

Ibglowin,

Just looking at the below site, where they recoop barrels. Didn't get any pricing or details as to how long a batch of wine should stay in such a recooped barrel, compared to a new barrel. I am interested in the 10 and 15 gallon barrels.

http://www.californiawinegrapeco.com/Barrels

The 10 gallon would be the right size for two, 6-gallon kits, since the other 2 gallons could be used to top-off and wouldn't last very long either. Or if we do go down to S. New Mexico in the Fall, might be a possibility if the prices are right.

I am really more interested in neutral barrels, which would be great for concentration and micro-oxidation. Maybe these barrels would be nearer to neutral; just don't have any details.

I'm afraid to ask about prices; figure anything to do with recycling has a big price tag attached.

Last edited:
I would be inclined to just order a brand spanking new 40L barrel from Vadai. They are only $20 more than a 23L. You would need to have 3-4 batches lined up in advance but you may find that they are cheaper than a re-cooped one!

The stuff that they are making out of wine corks, barrels, and other wine making equipment is amazing to see. Thanks for sharing this.

I like this one

Medium+Wine+Barrel+Chair.jpg

I can see those people with the big, fancy wine cellar/tasting rooms going for that stuff!!

VERY cool!

Debbie

Well I can tell you Deb the nice wine tasting rooms I've been in didn't have anything like that. But now an outdoor tasting area on a patio would look nice with those I think. I wonder how they would hold up to the weather? Think they can take the wetness? :)

Well, my point was... that if you can afford a big wine cellar, climate controlled with a lounge in it... you could afford that fancy furniture and put it where ever you want!!

I bet you have a set at your house, don't you??

Debbie

Actually I only have a nice desk and chair in my wine room. We have talked about putting a party/tasting room in the basement but I've been fighting it. A friend even drew up complete plans for that and the wine making area. I like the idea of doing what ever I want in my basement and spreading my wine making out in it with no restrictions.

On the other hand I did order a new tasting table a few weeks ago I didn't get yet for my deck. The one pictured below was the floor model, I ordered a different color to match the rest of the furniture on my patio.

PubTable.jpg

Latest posts

Back