old carboys vs brand new

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gird123

Reaction score
I just bought 2 five gallon carboys for 40. They are older and need to be cleaned, but they appear thicker than the 3 i have from Paklab. Would i be better off to buy the new ones for a little more, or did i make the right decisions with the older ones?

This hobby is addicting. I now have 3 six gallon and 3 five gallon glass. I also have 2 five gallon better bottles and 4 five gallon plastic water jugs. Not to mention 17 one gallon Carl Rossi.

nate

Do you have any bottle water companies around you that is where I found my five gallon carboys for twenty dollars each

Do you have any bottle water companies around you that is where I found my five gallon carboys for twenty dollars each

I often thought about checking with the company in Carnegie but never got around to it. I should head down there one day after work and see if they have any glass ones still around.

We do, but they don't have any glass. I bought 4 plastic ones though for $8.

Watch out on the plastic jugs they are not rated for wine making

I have one from Culligan and I know it is not rated for the wine making that we are doing

What should i use to clean them? Bleach? One looks like it still has beer in it.

I use a little dish soap the first time I clean my jugs when I get them then rinse them out serveral time then I sanitize them

I use k-met and citric acid to sanitize. So scrub with my brush and soap then apply sanitizer just like I do with the new ones? Thought I might want something stronger.

I got a few questionable ones. I soaked them the first day in PBW followed up with two days in oxy clean. I then sealed them up with a kmeta sanitizing solution.

Here's what I do:

Add some sand in the carboy, along with your detergent ( I use COMET) and swirl it vigorously. Make sure it is visually clean, then sanitize. Do not use soap to clean, it will leave a residue behind.

I recently got that blue chamois "carboy cleaner" attached to ss rod that fits in hand drill. I had to get it from the manufacturer since none of the retailers stock it anymore. I use hot water and just a few drops of dish washing detergent. You spin the thing inside the carboy bottom to top. Really works great and very fast. Then I rinse real good with water then sanitizer.

As far as what carboys I like the best . . . hands down FULL ONES.:)

I use a carboy brush and One Step cleaner and sanitizer on mine. You can use bleach, but make sure to rinse very well to avoid any residue.

Instead of sand, I have a friend that uses small ice cubes and rock salt. Seems to get a lot of the stuff off the inside. Swirling the carboys is kinda a job, tho. Just got to thinking, don't try this with a carboy that you have just had hot water in and don't rinse with hot water right after you do this. Don't want anybody hurt when glass cracks. Arne.

Last edited:
Back