Red currants

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arne

Reaction score
Scrounging thru the freezer the other day. Managed to dig out about 23 lbs of red currants. Split them into two primaries, keeping them in strainer bags we have made. Nice pretty red color and fermenting like crazy. Wish I could post pics, guess I will have to break down and buy a camera. Smells great, will keep you informed how it comes out. Arne

Made this last year but did not have as many currents. Am making 5 gal using 23 lb currents.
10 lb sugar brought s.g. up to 1.085
3 tsp pectic enzime
Nutrient and energizer according to their bottles.
4.5 gal water
pkg cote de blanc yeast
put currents, sugar, water, campden tabs split into 2 primaries.
added pectic 12 hrs later.
added nutrient and energizer.
24 hrs later added yeast. Made a starter with little wwarm water, some sugar and yeast. When it got going, added some must. It got to growing good and split it between the 2 primaries. Started it in the morning and pitched it in the evening about 10 hrs later.
Now stirring at least a couple of times a day, fermenting great. Temp is not real stable, have been getting it up to 72 degrees during the day, drops at night. Have had pretty good luck fermenting with the changing temps, but the wood stove goes out at night and the temp drops a little. Will keep you informed. Arne.

I thought red courants didn't have much flavor (don't know from experience, just this forum)? Will you fpack with something else?
:dg

I thought red courants didn't have much flavor (don't know from experience, just this forum)? Will you fpack with something else?
:dg

Hadn't thought about it. Made some last year and liked it. Was not very strong flavored, but I kinda attributed that to not enough fruit. The must this year is a much darker color, but will tell you more after I get it in the secondary. Maybe should start thinking about some kinda flavor pack. Don't know what to use as I am out of berries, but will figure out something. Arne.

How much acid did that many red currants give you? I also saw were www.currantc.com was selling red currants this year. We made some red currant wines from our berries but they were so acidic it was tough to not put in too much sugar to bring it down to drinkable levels, we also added some elderberries to ours just to give it some more color. Crackedcork

Scrounging thru the freezer the other day. Managed to dig out about 23 lbs of red currants. Split them into two primaries, keeping them in strainer bags we have made. Nice pretty red color and fermenting like crazy. Wish I could post pics, guess I will have to break down and buy a camera. Smells great, will keep you informed how it comes out. Arne

Hmm, my acid kit expired, guess I had best order some more NaOH. Will keep the elderberry coloration thing in mind. Has a really pretty pink color now. I do have enough elderberries in the freezer for at least 5 gal of wine. They are next on the list after the currant slurry goes to skeeter pee. Guess I need some more buckets. lol Arne.

I have never adjusted the acid before. It came out to 1.125. The must has pretty well fermented out. Am about ready to rack it to a carboy, should I try and adjust the acid now or wait til after it is done fermenting completely??
By the way, it tastes pretty good right now and has a nice pink color, kinda like pepto bismal. Course kinda hard to tell what the taste is with all the yeast and all still in there. Thanks for now, Arne.

Arne, if it tastes good why fool with it? We just backsweeten ours until the flavors are more in balance though the next time I make it I might add some potas carbonate at the very begining to see if that helps. Crackedcork

I don't think I am going to mess with it too much. Time to rack it to a carboy, after it clears some, think I will stick it in the reefer for a while and see if I can get some acid crystals out of it. Hopefully tonite to the carboy, then tomorrow start a batch of skeeter pee with it. Think my carboy supply is going to be too low, gonna have to get a couple more. Arne.

Finally got it racked over. Tasted again tonite and has a sour taste, not spoiled, more like lemon sour. Think it is probably the acid. Will tell more after it sits in the secondary for a while. Also racked two strawberrys and a cherry. 5 gal each. The one strawberry is really good. Will keep track of it and if it stay good will post the recipe. Bought a 30 lb bucket from the grocery store, fermented 20 lbs and there was 10 lbs of juice left over that I used for a f-pac. Mite have oversweetened it with the flavor pack, but it sure tasted good now. Has been resting for a couple months, just have to keep my hands off it. Wine theifs are a wonderful tool. lol Arne.

Latest posts

Back