Maple Porter

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

masta

Reaction score
Hey Stinkie..guess what I am drinking?

Valley Brew's Maple Porter....yummmy! I added 17 oz of Grade A syrup to the boil when making the wort and then added 32 oz of Grade B to the secondary when I racked into it.Edited by: masta

Where is Stinky when you need him to explain all this. After I made the batch up with the Grade A I found out that it is difficult to retain the maple flavor in beer because all the sugar is consumed during the fermentation. The Grade B is very dark and strong tasting so I opted to use that in the secondary and hopefully end up with the maple flavor. From what I have read Grade B is from the last sap run of the season and is used mostly in cooking because of it's darker color and flavor.

Anyway it worked out well and I am pleased with the final product.

Yes. I like most thangs in the raw. Underprocessed, or not at all. Like my thoughts.

smiley5.gif

syrup is graded light, medium, dark, grade B, commercial,

it is all classed by color the lighter the less strong maple taste but sweeter flavor I always ate grade B strong maple flavor, commercial is crap the last that the big commercial producers send to the log cabin type syrups that say 3% maple, 97% corn syrup, I don't even get B anymore, I pull my buckets first. I will blend most of my syrup to medium. the longer it stays in containers the darker it gets, especially if in glass exposed to light.

All light, medium, and dark syrup is grade A, I made lollypops that
would pull your teeth out..lol....but have never made maple sugar
candy, it sounds hard but I will try it some day I'm sure.

I doubt if it is very hard to make if you have the neccessary equipment.

Latest posts

Back