Cork or Cap?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
C

chowdan

Hey everyone. Thank you for you help on the floaters. I am about to rack this batch. I think im going to run it through cotton to make sure it doesn't have anything weird. I'm looking at it now and it seems to look like the floating things have settled to the bottom.

But my questions is what would you recommend, putting the wine into wine bottles with corks or using a screw cap?

thanks agian.

Jordan

I prefer using corks. Note you cannot economically buy new screw caps for the commonest commercial screw cap bottles (Auscap or Stelvin caps). 'Economically' means that the machine to apply new caps costs a LOT.

Steve

ahhhh ok. Looks like I'll go and collect the corks and bottles from the friends house and the new resort.

cpfan you know of any machines to cork my bottles?? Like wheres the best place online?

Jordan:

Pretty much any brew shop sells corkers. The best to get is a floor corker, but they are also more money.

BTW, you can reuse the screw caps as long as you are careful cleaning them. Also screw caps cannot be swapped between bottles indiscriminately due to different threading and mouth sizes.

You may wish to read the following thread at another forum (yeah, I'm cpfan there too).

http://www.winepress.us/forums/index.php?showtopic=27250&hl=

Steve

Ahhh thanks a bunch Steve!

I just bottled my first batch. Also started a new one. White grape and pomogrante juice with chunks of apples. I think that might turn out tasting pretty good.

I'm going to read that thread in a bit.

Jordan - Thanks again

Jordan..above you said "collect the corks and bottles". Just to be certain...corks are NOT reusable.

Steve

I figure you are in the US, so I am not going to bore you with a link to a web shop here.

I would say cork it... with one of the plastic sort of corks. They have alot of advantages over the wooden ones.

Corkers are availabe here in online wine shops starting around 20-25dollars the bigger floor model ones will run you quite a bit more.

Billy:

Good point. Knowing where a poster lives can sometimes help with answers.

So Billy-T and chowdan...you both need to add a location to your profile.

Steve

Ahhh i new i forgot to do something. But I live in the Fiji Islands. Sort of hard getting things out here due to no one every does anything like this stuff.

Fiji...I'm guessing shipping is pretty high even if somebody will ship it there.

Steve

Yea it sucks! I'm going to order a big batch of corks and everything else needed. Have it sent to my grandparents house so when I'm in the USA for a tradeshow i can bring it back with me. But yea usually i order things and send it to the grandparents house and once a year I'll collect everything. Sort of like a big christmas....but earlier. Lol

so should i get the plastic corks or the wooden kind???

Latest posts

Back