Bulk aging wine kits

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A lot of kits boast that it's ready in 6-8 weeks...but if you can wait, that would be better. Most kits will reach their peak at around a year and don't really benefit anymore from aging after that.

Mark

A lot of kits boast that it's ready in 6-8 weeks...but if you can wait, that would be better. Most kits will reach their peak at around a year and don't really benefit anymore from aging after that.

Mark

This is true of the bigger kits but the breezins and mists are early drinkers. I start drinking a month after bottling and try not to have any left after two years.

danc - this is a hard question to give a simple answer. There are so many factors to consider - the type of kit, quality of kit, how much oak is involved, white wine or red wine, how many carboys you have. There are also differing opinions on bulk aging vs bottle aging.
Generally, I will not bulk age white wines ( they may stay in the carboy for a month or 2 until I get around to bottling them) - some of them are meant to be drunk young. I will bulk age red wines in the carboy for 3-6 months. Others on here bulk age for a year or more.
I would suggest you use the search function for bulk aging wine and read some of the threads and that will give you a good idea of some of the discussions.

I agree with Dugger and dont really bulk age whites. I give them about 2-3 months after stabil mainly just to make sure they are not dropping anymore sediment and then bottle. Some of the higher end kits will still need a little more aging in the bottle. Reds are another story. I only buy (dont buy them anymore as Im making from grapes now) the higher end kits with grape skins and must say some of them get good at 8-12 months but still keep improving up to the 2 year mark.

how often should i sample my wine while its bulk aging? or should i not sample it while it is bulk aging?

Id sample every 2-3 months depending on what it is. If you make a kit that is 15-18 liters with grapes skins then Id give it at least 6 months after bulk aging at least 4 months before opening a bottle but thats me.

Latest posts

Back