Lilac blossom wine?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BernardSmith

Reaction score
Our lilac tree is just coming into bloom and it struck me this morning that the best way to preserve the flowers would be to make a wine from them. Hoping to harvest a gallon pail of blossoms... But as to sugar... Has anyone made lilac wine before? If I wanted to make this a mead, would a varietal honey be better or a basic clover or wild flower honey? Indeed would a mead hide the flavors and so should I go for common or garden sugar? Thoughts? Thanks

all lilacs are edible, aren't they?

It sounds like some of the newer lilacs may not be, but the old varieties are.

I did a Lilac mead which is going to be 2 years old in July. I bottled at the one year mark, dry, and was happy with how it was coming along. The only word of caution I can give is to not put too many blossoms in as it will end up being perfume-y.

Rae,

Did you use the blossoms in your primary or in secondary?

OP, I used petunia blossoms and lemon blossoms in secondary with wine and they both turned out great. I also didn't use as much.

@jericurl I used the blossoms in the primary, 1L of packed flowers in 1 Gal (UK). The floral nose is just right, and it's like a Gewurz with floral notes in flavour.

I've got 3 gallons of plain mead that I want to split and put some adds into. I'm wondering if one of the apple tree owners in the neighbourhood will allow me to pick a litre of their flowers :)

Thanks to all who responded. In the end I was able to harvest about 1 gallon of petals (It is some job to remove all the greenery!) and decided to forgo the mead route to see what the wine might taste like in purer form. I am still considering whether to treat this as a folk wine or a wine makers wine. If a folk wine I would aim for a sparkling version and so bottle it perhaps after a month while still full of CO2 - much like folk elderflower wine.

Latest posts

Back