Other Vino Italiano Chardonnay

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GaDawg

Reaction score
I started this kit today. It is a 5.1 L kit. So I added 2lbs of sugar as a simple syrup, and 4 oz. of med. toasted American Oak and a box (15 oz.) of California Golden Raisins. My starting SG is 1.102 @ 70*F. The yeast that came with this kit is !Super B! (what ever that is). I'll give it a couple of days and if it doesn't start I'll pitch some 1118.;)

GaDawg the kit I had purchased through ebay reserve du chateau came with that exact yeast so I dig some research on it

corner_right_left.gif
pixel_trans.gif
SuperB Wine Yeast

$0.99
pixel_trans.gif

Click to enlarge
SuperB (Saccharomyces Bayanus) comes from Italy and will enhance aromas and provide a greater flavor profile in your end product.
The fermentation characteristics are very similar to Lalvin EC-1118 — extremely low production of foam, volatile acid and hydrogen sulfide (H2S) — make this strain an excellent choice. This strain ferments well over a very wide temperature range, from 10° to 30°C (50° to 86°F) and demonstrates high osmotic and alcohol tolerance. The SuperB strain is recommended for all types of wines, including sparkling, and late harvest wines and cider. It may also be used to restart stuck fermentations.

Just remember it's a low foaming yeast so keep check on your hydrometer before giving up on it. It worked well on my merlot

I suggest you check the taste everyday to see how much oak taste you have. I oaked some Coastal White and still cannot drink it as it is way over oaked. I guess I left it in for the complete initial ferment.

If you can remember, can I ask you to pm me when the wine is pretty good to you to give me an idea of how long it takes? thanks

GaDog,

I did that almost exactly as you have, except I used 1 cup light toast oak. Turned out to be a nice white.

I started this kit today. It is a 5.1 L kit. So I added 2lbs of sugar as a simple syrup, and 4 oz. of med. toasted American Oak and a box (15 oz.) of California Golden Raisins. My starting SG is 1.102 @ 70*F. The yeast that came with this kit is !Super B! (what ever that is). I'll give it a couple of days and if it doesn't start I'll pitch some 1118.;)

OMG! I just started this same exact kit. Started March 31st! I started the Chard side-by-side with the Tuscany Red. Both fermented in 5.1 gallons with SuperB. SuperB is supposed to bring Italian authenticity since it's "from Italy".

My Chard OG was...... 1.102. Pitched at... 70deg. I am not kidding. Exactly the same as your results. Except, I didn't add anything to it.

At (6 days) Apr 6, the Tuscany red was ready to transfer... 1.004-ish. I added some fermex and oak.

BUT the Chard at (6 days) was 1.040-ish. Not even close to ready. I added 4tsp of fermex.

At (10 days) which is today, the SG was down to 1.006. I transferred to secondary. Added a little oak, maybe 1/2 oz.

So for primary, the Tuscany took 6 days and the chard took 10 days.

Have you considered batonnage?

Sent from my iPad using Wine Making

My starting SG was 1.102 and my finish SG way .992. That gives me an ABV of 14.4%

Sent from my iPad using Wine Making

Latest posts

Back