What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Usually $2.99 to $3.29lb these days and that is for PRIME Brisket. It does need trimming so you will lose about a pound (+/-) to fat. Still a heck of a deal compared to my local Smith's (Kroger) who never puts Brisket on sale and they want $5.49lb for choice.

Will be checking my local Costco.

Make sure to look for the Prime as Costco sells both Prime and Choice. The Choice is more expensive than the Prime as it has supposedly been "trimmed" but the math just doesn't add up to what they are charging for the trimmed Choice vs an untrimmed Prime Brisket.

If Franklin says we wrap in pink butcher paper, we wrap in pink butcher paper! OMG, the probe went in like melted budder......... Pulled at 203 on the flat and let it rest for an hour. It's literally Hors catégorie!

fullsizeoutput_3d48.jpeg

Last edited:
Wanted something a little different. Smith's had whole chickens for $.89lb so snagged a medium sized one. Spatchcocked it and rubbed it with a nice spice rub I found at Wallymart a while back. Turned out excellent. Not too spicy, just right. Convection oven really did a nice job on the skin.

Harissa-Chicken-top.jpg

0068708063235_0_A1C1_0600.png

Lenten Friday dinner! Garlic Shrimps with Parmesan Cheese Risotto, Baby Kale and Tomato. Mrs IB was happy with dinner and the wine pairing.

fullsizeoutput_3d4a.jpeg

Took out some pork chops from the freezer last night, want to cook them for lunch

Looking for a good recipe and should I throw them in the grill [emoji848]

I really want them moist and well cooked.

Of course you should throw them on the grill!

Why not brine them for a couple hours? Salt, water, maybe some brown sugar, black pepper. Maybe go a little crazy and add some garlic. Take 'em out, pat 'em dry and grill them hot and fast to 140

Of course you should throw them on the grill!

Why not brine them for a couple hours? Salt, water, maybe some brown sugar, black pepper. Maybe go a little crazy and add some garlic. Take 'em out, pat 'em dry and grill them hot and fast to 140

Good idea. Once you pat them dry, don’t you add some seasoning before the grill?

Also, I was indirect heat in foil paper until reaching about 140F and then remove the foil and direct heat them quickly, thoughts?

Good idea. Once you pat them dry, don’t you add some seasoning before the grill?

Also, I was indirect heat in foil paper until reaching about 140F and then remove the foil and direct heat them quickly, thoughts?
Too late now but you could make a mojo type marinate (sour orange, garlic, cumin, oregano, garlic, more garlic). I'm doing a pork shoulder that was in that marinate for two days and popped a couple of six chops in for dinner tonight after I removed the roast. Will post once I get the pictures taken (after dogs on the third grill for the lunch crew).

Okay, pictures of some of today's cook.

3-9-19_pork.jpg
3-9-19_turkey.jpg

8ish lb bone in pork shoulder, marinated in mojo for two days and a tied 5ish lb turkey breast rubbed with salt and pepper. Hickory for the pork, apple for the turkey. Plan on adding a few boneless chicken breasts to use for smoked chicken salad. All will be used for our church monthly luncheon tomorrow.

Last edited:

No need for the foil treatment. I'd go a little shy of 140 before searing, but that's just my preference.

Back