Newb in South Louisiana

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

callemup

Junior
Reaction score
Hello to all. I'm just beginning and trying to decide whether to use a PET or glass carboy for fermenting and/or aging. I'm sure this has been addresses somewhere on the forum, but can't seem to find a thread... Can anyone offer some guidance? Thanks!

There are many discussions on this, some swear by the glass and the others swear by better bottles. Searching for better bottle should turn up some of them. There are safety considerations with hot liquids or dropping the glass carboys causing then to shatter and spray shards of glass. Some just aren't convinced that pet can be used for aging, or will cause off flavors from previous batches.

I use the PET Better Bottles and have been happy with them. Some of the cleaning compounds make the carboys very slick until rinsed off, this applies to both types. This subject is about like talking politics.

Depending on how far you get into it, you can't degass using a vacuum pump unless it is a glass carboy.

By the way welcome aboard, there are a lot of knowledgeable people here.

Last edited:
Welcome aboard!!!

I use an open Brute container food grade for primary.

Secondary i use glass - i do this b/c i cold stabilize and vacuum rack.

That would collapse the PET better bottles and CS would cause the walls to move in and out - bringing in unneeded O2 exposure.

Welcome. I will be at Manrisa Retreat House in Convemt La. This weekend.

Back