new from Florida

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reeny

Reaction score
Hi all
I am from Miami and many years ago I made mango wine. It has been so many I can hardly remember the process. There use to be a store on Bird Rd in Miami called Wine and Brew by You. It closed in 1999 so I think the last time I made wine was 1998. I have been watching videos and stumbled upon this forum in my search on how to make Mango wine.

Why I am interested in making wine again is that I recently became a beekeeper and I have honey. I attended bee college through the University of Florida and one of the classes (actually my favorite class) was "How to make Mead." I came home from the college and told my husband all about the mead making class. It brought back a lot of memories from when we made the mango wine.

I have been gardening for many years with particular interest in butterfly gardening. That interest has progressed into most pollinators ie. butterflies, humminbirds, bees, etc. I started writing a blog on my adventures in my backyard. It can be found at: http://www.reenysbutterfliesbloomsbees.blogspot.com.

So with all the mango in Miami right now I thought it would be time to make Mango Wine again. I recently harvested some honey from my hives and measured it and have approximately 3lbs which I think according to what I have read and videos that I have watched should be enough to make a gallon batch of mead.

Any how so excited that I have found this forum. Look forward to learning and drinking wine!

Hi reeny, I'm from Delray and I'm about to make my first mango wine, too. Welcome!

And I'm fascinated by beekeeping, so cool... I'm looking forward to checking out your blog.

Hi Everyone
I have a lot of pictures from my beekeeping on my blog. I use TBH (top bar hives) they are different than traditional Langstroth Hives. They are horizontal and the bees actually draw out their comb on top bars. It is very cool and easier to lift than Lanstroth supers. I rendered my own was a few months ago it was very cool and turn out really good.

I can't wait to make some wine again. Probably will make both the Mead and Mango wine at the same time. Have some questions around what yeast to use.
Need to up in the attic to find my old equipment. I think there should be a primary fermenter and a carboy maybe some tubing and the hydrometer. We will see. In the process of getting all equipment together. Drinking some apple juice from Whole foods to use the gallon container as my carboy for the Mead since I am only going to make a gallon.

Back