WineXpert to add fpac or not to.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kampo

Junior
Reaction score
so got a couple island mist kits for the wife in the BOGO deal at NorthernBrew. never done one of these, done skeeterpee, and a welches wine so far.

I'm a bit worried if I make them as directions they will be to sweet for her, and defiantly to sweet for me. we got the green apple resieling, and the black ras merlot.

The Wife loves semi sweet wines, normally nothing to expensive, but barefoot white zif/resieling are both in the right sweetness range, it can be a bit drier than that, but if it gets into the range of a moscato or some of the arbor mist we have tasted that is too sweet. would you guys suggest adding half the fpac during the primary along with a couple pounds of sugar to dry it out and give it some kick?

Adding half the F-Pack after the ferment is going strong is a common practice. you will get all the flavor and not as sweet. These are designed to be sweet though good for spritzing.

another thought I just had reading over some other threads on these kits. I just relized I only have 2 5 gallon carboys and a few 1 gallon, my buckets are all 6.5 which should be fine. don't really have it in the budget. to get some 6.5 better bottles right now. I have a couple 1 gallons freeing up though shortly. would it be a bad idea to split the kit to 5 gallons and 1 gallon. thinking of doing the 5 gallons as mentioned bring the sg up to 1.072 with half (well half of whatever it should get at 5 gallons) then experimenting with the remaining gallon and doing a pyment (been messing with small batches of meeds lately) and adding 1.5lb to 2lb of honey to it with half the fpac up front half later (in proportion of course)

mainly thinking of doing this with the resiling, but it could be interesting to try with the other as well.

To fpac or not?

HERE IS MY ANSWER TO THAT :dgMAKE THE KIT AS DIRECTED,IF YOU WANT FLAVOR AND STILL A WINE,NOT A SOFT DRINK,IN THE PRIMARY ADD SIMPLY SYRUP TO BRING UP THE SG TO 1.010,..I HAVE FOUND THAT THESE KITS WHEN THE FPAC IS ADDED WILL GIVE YOU BOTH FLAVOR AND THE ALCOHOL LEVEL YOU WILL DESIRE,AFTER THE TOTAL KIT IS MADE THEN BRAKE IT DOWN THE WAY YOU WANT TO EXPERIMENT WITH IT,FOR THE MOST PART THESE KITS ARE NOT TO BE SPLIT UP DURING FERMENTATION,IF I READ YOU CORRECTLY,YOU WILL ACHIEVE YOUR GOAL IN THE END FOR SURE THIS WAY.FOLLOW ALL DIRECTIONS AND THEN SPLIT.

About 2 months ago we bottled both the green apple resieling, and the black ras merlot.
they are both a little on the sweet side but only as sweet as a resieling.... Raz Merlot a little less...
I did have a problem with 7 of the ras merlot bottles popping corks but is may have been my fault.
either didn't degas enough or the #8 corks I used were a little too small for the bottles, but the green apple is in same bottles with same corks and no problems.
It was also suggested that the sorbate may have been expired.

I always add 3# sugar to these kits and otherwise follow the kit instructions. I do leave them in the carboy longer, meaning an extra racking and sulfite addition.

Once bottled, I let them age 6mos or so before drinking.

The extra alcohol tames the sweetness perception, but does need the extra time IME.

I always add 3# sugar to these kits and otherwise follow the kit instructions. I do leave them in the carboy longer, meaning an extra racking and sulfite addition.

Once bottled, I let them age 6mos or so before drinking.

The extra alcohol tames the sweetness perception, but does need the extra time IME.

I do the exact same thing. I have never tasted the reisling kit you mentioned but I have made several Black Rasp. Merlots. It is a great kit and I think you will like it.

Both of those varieties are fantastic "summer" wines. I love a dry wine, way drier than most, but a tall glass filled with crushed ice and then filled with either of those makes for a great poolside drink.

I can easily put down a bottle in a sitting.

I've not made either kit but have drank the green apple Riesling that you mentioned. It is pretty sweet. My father in law had made this and carbonated it as well which turned it into something more like a wine cooler (with much less of a headache in the morning). I don't mind this wine during the summer at all, nicely chilled and it's a nice tart refreshing beverage. I'm actually waiting until January to make myself a batch to have it ready for summer. Would love to make it now, but being pregnant and not being able to indulge would just leave it all for my friends and more than likely, none for me!

Latest posts

Back