Lime Mead

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

uavwmn

Reaction score
I am starting the lime mead. I am following Waldo's great recipe. Unlike the JAO I made, this one goes in a primary bucket? For how long?

Waldo, if you are out there......what is the next step?
smiley36.gif

Advice I've been given on meads is to let them stay for at least a month on the lees in the primary before racking to a secondary container.

Meads have a tendency of being hard to start and long to ferment. I tend to just put them in a larger glass container and let it do its thing. But yes I have heard folks leave the mead on the lees for a year or more. A great book to pick up and I've mentioned it before is The Compleat Mead Maker by Ken Schramm. I highly recommend picking it up, it is easy to read, has a bit of history and a few recipes.
VPC

So, this mead stays in the primary bucket for a month?? I am guessing this one I will have to snap the lid down and put the airlock on.

It would be wise to do so since you have to let it set for so long. Trap that protective CO2 in the primary under the airlock.

uavwmn said:
So, this mead stays in the primary bucket for a month?? I am guessing this one I will have to snap the lid down and put the airlock on.

Don't forget you'll still need to stir that baby up, but yes I would use the lid & air lock after the first week or so.

For an example of how forgiving meads can be, I was researching a mead I want to make later this year on the Green Board and one person left their mead in the primary bucket for 4 years! I honestly don't think I could ever do that but they said that the mead was great! So a month or so in the primary for your lime mead should be fine.
VPC

uavwmn said:
I am starting the lime mead. I am following Waldo's great recipe. Unlike the JAO I made, this one goes in a primary bucket? For how long?

Waldo, if you are out there......what is the next step?
smiley36.gif

I would personally rack it to glass at an sg of around 1.010. If it is still fermenting strong its ok. If it seems a bit sluggish give it about 1/2 tsp yeast energizer.

Latest posts

Back