WineXpert Italian Sangiovese and Amarone

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kat50496

Reaction score
I have 22 bottles of WE International selection sangiovese at 12 months old. It's pretty OK (a little thin, but not too bad). Can anyone tell me if this will benefit from longer aging? I also have 24 bottles of Italian Amarone at 11 months, but I think I know the answer for this one, even though it's really starting to develop some body already.

I really want to start building aged inventory, but want to make sure I have higher quality reds in stock. The sangiovese was my first kit, and if I start drinking that I can (hopefully) stay away from the Amarone, and the WE Estate Zin I have clearing now. I plan on bulk aging the Zin for at least 6 months, and then longer in the bottle.

I think I've decided on startin the RJ Winery series Super Tuscan this weekend but can someone suggest a good red "early drinker" to protect these bigger wines?

Why is it thin

Hi Keith, I'm not sure I have an answer for you about a good red fast drinker. I usually buy kits that I want and try to go easy on using them. Just as it takes time to make a good wine, it takes time to build up a good wine celler. I try to set a limit with each variety so as to hold onto what I want to age longer.

I am interested in why your WE International selection sangiovese turned out as you said, thin. What are you topping off with? Make sure to top off with a similar wine, not water. I've never tried that WE product. I did make the Arentine Malbec, and find it rather tasty.

One more question... How are you degassing? Residual CO2 may be effecting your taste.

Sorry for not being much help.
Paul

Hi Keith,

I read your post with great interest. Coincidentally, my first kit in January of this year was the WE Sangiovese and I too was somewhat disappointed in the "thin-ness." Since then I have made two Amarones, four Zinfandels and two Super Tuscans. Have you gotten into my compter somehow?!:) I too was desparate to get something to drink, so I went after my Sangiovese. (lowest cost alternative)

I read a post by Joeswine about working on wines that are not exactly what you expected. I began experimenting with the Sangiovese, using glycerin first to try to give is more mouth. That helped some. Then, after reading aonther post on blackberry taste in wines, I got a jar of Blackberry jam from Sam's and nuked about a tablespoon full to liquify it and added it to a bottle of Sangiovese. I think it was really great, but it is all a matter of taste.

I would recommend experimenting with a bottle or two. The purists on the site will disagree, but it works for moi.

I've been very happy with my Luna Rossa by WE. Its only 6 months old now but its great. Very beefy and ton's of oak - which I like. I"m going to do another one of those soon.

Keith - if you can find a WinExpert dealer who can still order you in a Gamay Nouveau, it is purportedly quite good and drinkable right away. These are special order only.

Paul - unfortunately this was my first attempt and done at an FOP. The sangiovese seems to have a little "fizz" left which I'm sure is affecting the taste and feel. This is primarily why I've decided to start at home. At least nobody to blame but myself if I'm not satisfied.

Rocky - wow, wish I had the time to get as many kits started is as short a time! Your suggestions sound really iteresting, I will probably try the jam with a bottle. Did you let it set for a while after adding or just drink right away?

MN, I've read the Luna Rossa was pretty good, and was looking at that as well. I really need something that will be ready to enjoy in about 6 months.

Wine made from kits, especially kits that don't include a grape pack, tend to be thinner than their commercial equivalent. That is likely what you are experiencing.

I don't know that aging will increase the actual body of the wine. If it goes into the bottle thin, it will likely remain that way.

To thicken the kit wine a little, many of us add something like Tan Cor Grand Cru about a month before bottling. Others add glycerin and I have heard of using bananas. Of course barrel aging can make a tremendous difference, where body is concerned. With a barrel, in many cases you can expect a wine to be as rich and concentrated as a commercial.

The bottom line is that, without special handling, it is not unusual for a kit wine to be a little thinner.

About an early drinker... That Old Vine Zin should be pretty good within six months of clearing, since it is a WineXpert kit; of course it will get better with time.

Most of the red WineXpert kits will drink a little earlier than other kits, which include a grape pack.

Of course whites tend to be drinkable sooner than reds. Have you looked into some of the mist wines (summer wines)? They are sweet and fruit flavored, but pretty much ready to drink a month after clearing.

Most of the red WineXpert kits will drink a little earlier than other kits, which include a grape pack.

I thought the flavor of the Sangiovese was good, but agree a little thin. Same for the "Barolo Style" (not the Estate series, the International) and the Original series Merlot. All very nice flavor, all a little on the thin side.

I was thinking of adding some raisins to the primary the next time I make one of these. That should improve the body a tad, no??

Maybe I should just stick to the Estate series. I think they are all very good!

Thanks Robie, yes I also have the Aus. Chard and Italian Pinot Grigio in the bottle since last September and the WE Estate Sauv Blanc clearing now. My wife and her friends prefer the whites and have been enjoying them for a few months now. We will continue to make more of these as they are pretty simple and quickly enjoyed.

As I've spent more time on this forum it seems that most prefer the kits with grape or raisons for longer term aging and maturity. I may try to mix my selection of WE reds with a few longer aging grape pack kits to make sure I always have something to drink on a regular basis while having some longer aged for special occasions. Sounds like the beginning of a plan. I think my next two will be the WE luna rossa and the super tuscan from RJ Winery series.

Can't go wrong with the Luna Rossa. I make one of those about every 3 months. It's becoming our "table wine". I ran the last two on grape packs from a Kenridge kit, and it's every fuller bodied!!

Can you just by grape packs, can you make them from raisons, or do you save them from other kits?

Can you just by grape packs, can you make them from raisons, or do you save them from other kits?

You can buy grape packs from one of our sponsors - The Wine Maker's Toy Store. I don't know if they now sell raisins or not. If not, you can get the organic, non-sulfited raisins at places like Whole Foods or other organic food stores. Use the non-sulfited raisins.

I think that RJS Winery Series Super Tuscan comes with a grape pack. If not, a Cabernet grape pack will work well with a super Tuscan.

We kits

HI KAT 50496:u

i AGREE WITH YOU ON THE WE KITS TAKE THE TIME TO READ WHEN GOOD WINES GONE BAD,ESPECIALLY AT THE AMARONE PART,AND HOW YOU CAN IMPROVE THE THIN NESS OF THE WINE AS WELL AS CREATE A DEEPER TASTE,CHECK OUT LAYERING OF OAK AND THE USE OF RAISINS ,THIS WILL HELP YOU IN THE FUTURE ,I BELIEVE:pic

I am interested in why your WE International selection sangiovese turned out as you said, thin. What are you topping off with? Make sure to top off with a similar wine, not water. I've never tried that WE product. I did make the Arentine Malbec, and find it rather tasty. I've been very happy with my Luna Rossa by WE. Its only 6 months old now but its great. Very beefy and ton's of oak - which I like. I"m going to do another one of those soon.

I did the WE Sangiovese. Aged it for a year in a carboy before bottling. Two friends are very knowledgable about wine and wanted to buy everything I had left of the kit. No deal, wife's favorite wine. I top off with a similar wine, never water. Degas with a vacuum system.
My amarone did not fair as well. I believe I cut the 2nd fermentation too short. It is also, very potent. I age everything in carboys covered with old towels to block sunlight. They sit on 2x4's on floor of basement during first 12 months.

I did the WE Sangiovese. Aged it for a year in a carboy before bottling. Two friends are very knowledgable about wine and wanted to buy everything I had left of the kit. No deal, wife's favorite wine. I top off with a similar wine, never water. Degas with a vacuum system.
My amarone did not fair as well. I believe I cut the 2nd fermentation too short. It is also, very potent. I age everything in carboys covered with old towels to block sunlight. They sit on 2x4's on floor of basement during first 12 months.

What do you mean when you say the Amarone is very potent? Actually, if I understand correctly, cutting the secondary short would result in the wine having a slightly less alcohol level and possibly leave the wine a slight bit sweet, but very slight.

From my experience with wine drinkers and Amarone, I find lots of people really don't like the taste of it. I think the Italian word "amarone" translates to something like the English word "tart". So, two years after aging it, it can sort of come across as green, because of its tartness. It is a favorite no doubt and a very expensive wine on the commercial market, but it is not for every taste for sure.

I hope it comes around for you.

Thank you for reply. The Amarone is quite potent on the alcohol level. One bottle gives a "do not drive under the influence" effect. The tartness is probably why I we thought it was young tasting. I like it, wife doesn't. Oh darn.

Latest posts

Back