Maple Syrup wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok I started my Maple Syrup wine today. I started with 1 gallon of dark maple syrup. I added 4 gallons of water and enough simple syrup for a starting sg of about 1.85. Acid was 0 and ph of 6.0 PH could be off as my meter crapped out right after that. I added 8 sliced up oranges and yeast.

Tasted this wine a month ago and I thought oh crap. The next day I added another qt of Maple syrup the next day. Today I sampled it and you know I think this just might be a winner. Needs another 6 months though.

Pure maple syrup is BIG :mny here in Florida. Could you use the cheaper store bought?

While I was reading this thread all I could think of was pancakes and waffles!! And I can't eat flour products until January 2012!

Ok I started my Maple Syrup wine today. I started with 1 gallon of dark maple syrup. I added 4 gallons of water and enough simple syrup for a starting sg of about 1.85. Acid was 0 and ph of 6.0 PH could be off as my meter crapped out right after that. I added 8 sliced up oranges and yeast.

So Dan, did you add anything other than the oranges to adjust the pH? My hubby came home with a gallon of Grade B (darker) maple syrup in the hopes I would make wine out of it! I plan on making a 3 gallon batch of it. Would adding just maple syrup to it (instead of syrup and simple sugar) make the maple overpowering? Or could I use just all maple?

With Mikael's guidance, I'm also planning on starting a mead on Wednesday as well.......so it will be interesting to see how the two of these similar wines come out!

So Dan, did you add anything other than the oranges to adjust the pH? My hubby came home with a gallon of Grade B (darker) maple syrup in the hopes I would make wine out of it! I plan on making a 3 gallon batch of it. Would adding just maple syrup to it (instead of syrup and simple sugar) make the maple overpowering? Or could I use just all maple?

With Mikael's guidance, I'm also planning on starting a mead on Wednesday as well.......so it will be interesting to see how the two of these similar wines come out!

Sarah as I was reading through your thread I was going to suggest using honey to sweeten but it looks like Mik has that covered. It is still in the carboy and I have added another half gallon total to back sweeten and flavor so far. Still not calling it a success story yet. It'll be a good year or so.

Maple Syrup or other Tree wine

Have you thought about trying Birch Or Box Elder?
They can be tapped for sap and made into syrup as well.

This all sounds fantastic. I am looking at making a maple syrup wine. I am in the process of researching recipes. My plan is to add lemon and a blubbery puree to give a nice balance to the wine.

Maple syrup wine.

I use the same recipe as id do for dry mead. 3 pounds of pure maple syrup, 1 tsp of nutrient powder, 1/4 tsp of Tannin powder, 1 1/2 tsp. of Tartaric acid, 2 1/2 tsp. of Malic acid, 1/2 tsp. Energizer. Lalvin d-47, or champagne yeast. Add enough water to make 1 gal. Ferment in primary for 5 to 7 days, rack into secondary and let it finish, I do mine in my cool basement and sometimes it takes 6 to 9 months to fully ferment, if I rack it I will top it off with pure maple syrup which will make it work longer and increase the alcohol content. when it is finished I add ascorbic acid and potassium sorbate. then sweeten to taste with Maple syrup. came out fantastic.

I tried some maple syrup for backsweetening a fruit wine and it wasn't my cup of tea.

Great to hear someone else is going to experiment with Maple Syrup Wine. We make maple syrup also in the spring.

I found using lemons creates a nice balance with the sweet smoky flavor of maple syrup.

Just make sure you rack it off extra.

Good Luck
Dean

Here it's: Apple juice, maple syrup and EC1118. Yum!
I've been making my last 15 or 20 batches with 100 percent maple syrup. One of the last 3 batches is made with molassas. We'll see how that turns out.

Pure maple syrup is BIG :mny here in Florida. Could you use the cheaper store bought?

"Store bought" maple syrup (aunt jamima and others) are not real maple syrup. The real maple syrup is expensive compaired to the stuff you buy at the supermarket. I havent done a maple wine yet, though it is on my list, but when I do I will get the straight sap and render (boil) it myself so I can get the right sugar/water content before fermentation. Real maple sap syrup could be used too, just have to get it hot enough to accept more water.

I am still looking for a simple Maple Syurp wine recipe. HELP!!!!

Peter D.
The wine maker

Latest posts

Back