Wildflower mead

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just reading this thread... and it strikes me that Rampage4all is really fermenting at a relatively high temperature. I may be mistaken but I tend to think that when you ferment in the 70's you are likely inviting fusels and stressing the yeast. I try to ferment around 60- 65 but I also try to avoid using champagne yeast which is like using a sledge hammer to split open a pistachio. It'll do the job... but there are so many other better tools around...

if you don't mind me asking, what would be your preference on yeast types.::

Just reading this thread... and it strikes me that Rampage4all is really fermenting at a relatively high temperature. I may be mistaken but I tend to think that when you ferment in the 70's you are likely inviting fusels and stressing the yeast. I try to ferment around 60- 65 but I also try to avoid using champagne yeast which is like using a sledge hammer to split open a pistachio. It'll do the job... but there are so many other better tools around...

It finished at .995 . letting it settle naturally chilled at 55° . fully degassed with my last rack. Smells good taste amazing.

I find Fermenting at a high temperature gives no stress to the yeast. long as you be sure to stir plenty of air in the first 1\3 of the fermentation just needs a watchful eye. because yes it can turn on you quick and leave off flavors if not ruin it all together. Just my limited experience.

I find Fermenting at a high temperature gives no stress to the yeast. long as you be sure to stir plenty of air in the first 1\3 of the fermentation just needs a watchful eye. because yes it can turn on you quick and leave off flavors if not ruin it all together. Just my limited experience.

Please, keep it coming.. Tells us about the finish..

Latest posts

Back