New from Kentucky

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

euphio

Reaction score
Hi all.
I've been drinking wine for about 15 years and have always thought about making my own. This year we took the plunge and my wife and I bought a wine making kit for each other for our anniversary.

We have our first batch in the secondary fermentation stage now - a Sangiovese.

Looking forward to learning lots from you guys!

Dave

Welcome. . . . . there is more on here than you ever thought you would want to know.

Welcome to the forum.

That's great, Dave. If you have any questions, fire away. Just be mindful the wine will taste tart and green for several months. Depending on the kit, it could take 18 months for the wine to mature. I generally don't drink any of my non-sweet kit wines for 24 months or longer. AS expected, wine making requires lots of patience.

Dave,
From one Kentuckian to another. . . WELCOME!

If you are in the Louisville/S IN area and are interested in an amateur group (http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/groups/137454883025144/), I started one last fall. We have only had 2 meetings thus far, around 15 members, a couple husband/wife teams. The intent is good and again we are really just getting started. Shoot me a message if you want more information.

Sara

Thanks all - I've been digging through the site little by little. I'm really enjoying the process of making wine so far.
I'm a chemist so the science of it certainly appeals to me.
I can see (like any hobby) where it would be easy to get carried away VERY quickly and drop some serious cash.

I do have one quick question: can I cork bottles by hand or do I need some expensive piece of equipment?

this
2262.gif
is what I use $17 and it works great LINK IF YOU WANT TO LOOK

Thanks everyone - this is quite the welcoming place!
Thanks for the offer Sara - I'm going to look into the hand corkers this week.

Back