Hello from San Antonio, TX

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dbruce35

Junior
Reaction score
Just placed my beginner equipment kit and a cabernet wine kit. I got one of the cheaper kits with less time needed for maturing (according to vendor), so I can get an idea of quality and not run the risk of ruining a good kit.
Wish me luck. My other hobbies have slowly drifted away, because my wife doesn't play golf or fish. But, she does drink wine! Good thing is I am still young (32), so picking up new hobbies and seeing them fail is something I can afford to do.
smiley36.gif

Welcome Bruce, you better get ready because this is one hobby that you really get addicted to in a hurry.. I just started in January and I had a wine cellar built and I already have 6 carboys ageingin it right now plus have already bottled 2 carboys.. the people on this forum are wonderful about helping when you have any question or problems. Good luck.
Cyndy

Hi, dbruce. I just joined the forum today myself, but I have been making wine for 11 months now. Good luck with the cab. What specific kit is it? Since it is a cab, plan on waiting at least 6 months after the stabilization step to drink it. Maybe a bit longer. Also, if you give in to temptation as I did, don't judge the wine until it has aged 10 to 12 months. Some reds are decent before that, but it seems a lot of them will take awhile.

Another thought is that the results can be improved dramatically by extending the time frames a bit. 45 days from primary fermentation to bottling is good, 90 days is better. It seems that a lot of people will wait a year to bottle!

This hobby is addicting, so be prepared to end up with 3 to 10 carboys and several fermentation buckets.

Go Spurs!

Welcome dbruce35. Glad to have you here. Before you know it you will be a pro and your woman will be drinking wine and you both will be happy.

welcome! What ever you do, do not judge all wine kits by a small red wine kit as it is not a great indicator of the quality that can be made. That being said, some of the small red wine kits do produce a decent product. Small white wine kits do a pretty darn good job though but the bigger kits still come out better in most cases.

Welcome! I just had to post on here since I see you are from San Antonio. Go Mavs!

Welcome! My wife and I are also new and around the same age. We look forward to sharing our hobby with you.

dbruce, Welcome to the Forum!! You and your wife will love this addiction...I meant hobby!!
smiley36.gif

welcome, I also started the hobby around the same time you did and am also for SA. I am getting ready to start my third kit. I amjust not sure which one.

Welcome to the forum. i have been making the lower kits for a year now. The only one that i havent really been satisfied with is the vr reisling. It was drier than i wanted but when i made their shiraz it really turned out good.

Welcome aboard! This such a great obsession...I mean hobby. You start off slow and the next thing you know...you have carboys everywhere. enjoy the forum!
smiley1.gif

Back