mixed berry wine - to add water or fruit juice?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BernardSmith

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me why many recipes for fruit wines (eg mixed berries) ask for the addition of water? doesn't adding water to extracted juice not dilute the flavors of the fruit? Why would recipes not call for the addition of fruit juice? If the problem is that the fruit may be too acidic, are there not other methods of reducing acidity rather than "diluting" the must? Is the issue that people find fruit wines too...er... "fruity"?

Last edited:
I think the reason for water in recipes is because they want you to bring it up to a certain amount of gallons, like a 5 gallon carboy, so that your measures of nutrient, pectice enzyme,etc. are easy to figure. If they didn't do that, they wouldn't even need to sell recipe books because all the chemistry measures would depend on how much fruit you use so they couldn't even guide you.

Recipes make something that's drinkable without having a good understanding of what the chemistries DO. Anyone--even a kid--could do it.

Recipes are a good way to cut your teeth on winemaking. But once you understand what you're doing, it's very wise to go"off-recipe."

Water additions to control PH is not the way to go. If your TA is too low after PH adjustment, then water can be used to get it back up. That would only happen if you had to add acid. But you can also go the route,with fruit, of not really measuring TA and just go with PH because taste is everything on fruit wines, IMO. If a big fruit wine is too acid, it's not pleasant to drink and you have to add too much sugar, then, to balance out all the acid. That's why PH adjustment is so important.

Always start out measuring PH of the must. Get it correctly adjusted at the primary before you set your brix,pitch yeast,etc. The result will be a problem-free wine. Buy a PH meter if you don't have one. If the acid is too much, use calcium carbonate to get the PH up. And another tip--on the first day, get some pectic enzyme on the must--you get more accurate PH measures, on the second day, once you have some of the fruit broken down.

Oh, I don't think a fruit wine can be too fruity--that's what it's supposed to taste like. I hate a fruit wine that has that "wine" flavor to it--it means there is too much water dilution. We make a LOT of fruit wine. Each one tastes like the fruit it's made from.

The main problem with going off recipe is that you have to estimate how many gallons the fruit will make and adjust the amount of your chemistries according to that. It confuses you in the beginning, but when you do it a couple times, it's more understandable. Need more help when actually going to do it?---let us know because many people on this forum seem to be doing the same thing we are.

Some fruits need water because they are too thick or strong such as muscadine. Water is added to thin the juice and bring the ph and acid closer to an acceptable range.

Generally do not add water. Yes acid can be reduced somewhat with other means. If you add water to fruit you will get a thinned down wine.

Thank you Turock and djrockinsteve. Sounds like both of you agree to add more fruit juice rather than water if I need to increase the quantity of the must to fill the carboy or to get to gallon units where I specific measures of "additives" will have known effects.

regarding, djrockinsteve, tagline - I think manufacturers are making vacuums these days without bags... so there is no need to change them in space... but my question is what happens when an astronaut needs to sneeze?

Latest posts

Back