Apple Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MichaelZ

Reaction score
I want to make apple wine and am contiplating using apple cider from an area orchard...(no preservatives etc)...My question is; will the cider eventually clear because it is very cloudy on the shelf or should I just use apple juice because it is already clear. (the only preservative in the juice is ascorbic acid)....
All suggestions and opinions are greatly appreciated....

Thank you,

Z

Ask them if thy have any untreated cider, most cider is pasteurized or treated with UV light which is better and keeps the apple flavor better but untreated is best. Cloudy doesnt matter as you will be making it cloudy anyway by fermenting it, just make sure to use the specified amount of pectic enzyme to rid the wine of its pectin haze because apples contain a lot of pectin. Ascorbic acid is good as it will help it from oxidizing. What recipe will you be using so as that we can further assist you?

Wade,
thank you for the quick response...I do not have a specific recipe but am researching.I plan to add cinnamon when racked to the secondary..So you are saying yes..I do realize that during fermintation even the juice (or water if used) will become cloudy...but will eventually clear.....so you believethe cider will eventually clear with time? I would prefer to use the cider because it is my understanding that it is closest to freah pressed apples than the juice is, no?
If you have any recipe suggestions that would be appreciated as well...
smiley9.gif

Z

(apologizing in advance for any spelling and/or grammer errors)
smiley18.gif

I have made many batches of wine from cider, since I prss my own. When I make mine, it is not cloudy like at the orchards a lot of times. I don't press as hard as they do. As a result I only get 2.5 gallons per bushe where a mill may get 3 gallons per bushel. Mine always come out a little harsh when dry for a year or so and then mellow. I struck upon an idea tonight while contemplating it was about time to start pressing. Mellow with Malo. By that I mean I think I will get some more malolactic bacteria and start a MLF(malolactic fermentation). Apples are high in malic acid which is harsh. The bacteria convert it to lactic acid which is much more mellow- so Mellow with Mallo. Since I will be using the malo, I need to keep K-Meta down until after fermentaion when the MLF is begun. That cooks for a couple months and when done, then add the K-meta and stabilise and sweeten if desired.

I use(approximately since it is from memory)
6 gallons fresh apple cider
5 pounds sugar(unless you only want 5-6% abv)
1/4 tsp K-Meta -add then wait to add yeast 24 hours later(1/8 if doing MLF)
Ascorbic acid-rate to manufacturers recomendations(about 1-2 TBS)/6 gal
Pasteur Red Yeast- or Montrachet
No added acids- there is enough in most ciders other than ascorbic-don't add if doing MLF
2 TBS Pectic Enzyme
2 TBS Yeast Nutrient

I'll check a couple of my recipes tomorrow and verify measurements and make sure I didn't forget anything major.

add 1/4 tsp K-Meta before bottling and K-Sorbate to specs

clearing usually isn't a problem but may take a few months. If in a hurry, use super kleer.

WADE...Tell us more about the raisins and cinnamon sticks...Will you share that recipe please?
smiley17.gif

Z

Back