Weber Performer grill....

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Garlic, green onion and adobo burgers? I'll be there!

Test the therm by putting the probe into some boiling water. It should register around 212.

Regarding the handle, maybe my hands have been numbed, or maybe a bit of soot buildup on the lid has added some insulation. But I don't feel like the handle is hot anymore. Or, you can get yourself another accessory:
077924011887.jpg

Also, the handle on this gets real hot and can burn your hand, they should have built this better.

Huh, that is weird. They DO build it better. My Performer (and most of the pix I have seen) have a heat shield below the handle, like in this picture:

IMG_20141011_144404724_HDR.jpg

My handle does not get hot (although my older one did). Your 14-year-old son didn't, uhh, miss a piece, did he? Here is the assembly manual for a related one: https://db9ad5a0be19c351b0ce-257519685d8ef76e8b565d778c28bf2e.ssl.cf2.rackcdn.com/57865_081514.pdf

Is that yours, Paul? If so, that is a very nice collection of vintage kettles in the background.

Is that yours, Paul? If so, that is a very nice collection of vintage kettles in the background.

I wish, but no, it isn't. I just googled for a picture that showed the heat shield better than the stock Weber pictures. I would have taken a picture of my own for Varis, but it was already dark out!

Huh, that is weird. They DO build it better. My Performer (and most of the pix I have seen) have a heat shield below the handle, like in this picture:

IMG_20141011_144404724_HDR.jpg

My handle does not get hot (although my older one did). Your 14-year-old son didn't, uhh, miss a piece, did he? Here is the assembly manual for a related one: https://db9ad5a0be19c351b0ce-257519685d8ef76e8b565d778c28bf2e.ssl.cf2.rackcdn.com/57865_081514.pdf

Uh? Mine does NOT have that shield shown in this picture, I know my son told me didn't have ANY extra "left over" pieces, so WTH? :ft

Look at the first picture I posted of the unit, no shield....

I'm really checking with my son and have him look inside the "empty" box.... :)

Texted my son and he assured me he took everything out the box and sent this picture from the manual I guess....

ImageUploadedByWine Making1500040690.346598.jpg

I'm coming to the conclusion that this specific unit does not have the shield.
Here is another picture from my brother-in-law who also purchased a second unit when I bought mine.
This is the Performer Platinum series, I was told the same exact unit as the Deluxe but Weber changed the name.

ImageUploadedByWine Making1500041214.135417.jpg

Last edited:
Mine is confused. It has dual coding: "AU" making it a 2012, and then a 9 digit starting with "CN" making it a 2013. Either way, no heat shield on the handle, which I find excessively hot at times.

I'm coming to the conclusion that this specific unit does not have the shield.
Here is another picture from my brother-in-law who also purchased a second unit when I bought mine.
This is the Performer Platinum series, I was told the same exact unit as the Deluxe but Weber changed the name.

Seems you are correct, of course: Lots of models have a heat shield, but lots don't.

I suppose you could add one: http://www.ereplacementparts.com/handle-kit-wshield-p-1476033.html

Maybe I've burned the nerves in my hands, but I no longer have an issue with the handle being too hot. Or maybe, that light coating of creosote on the inside of the lid is serving as insulation.

@Boatboy24 I will check when I get home, but also I called Weber, they asked for a serial number, told them I am in the office and not home and that I just bought it this past weekend. The lady said "I need a serial number....".

I then called back and got another lady and she was happy to send me a handle with the shield via Fedex, no charge.... :db

@Boatboy24 I will check when I get home, but also I called Weber, they asked for a serial number, told them I am in the office and not home and that I just bought it this past weekend. The lady said "I need a serial number....".

I then called back and got another lady and she was happy to send me a handle with the shield via Fedex, no charge.... :db

Their customer service is awesome. Make sure you register the grill - once you do that, call 'em up and they'll know exactly what you have.

Latest posts

Back