Weber Performer grill....

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Varis you need to do a Tri Tip like this one with the chimichurri sauce STAT!

Smoked-Tri-Tip-with-Chimichurri-Sauce-digging-in.jpg

http://www.vindulge.com/2017/07/red-wine-marinated-smoked-tri-tip-recipe-and-video/

Baby steps, Mike. :) But you need to fire one up with your new sous vide, stat!

Last edited:
Now to upgrade it with castiron grates, vortex or some other similar items.

Got cast iron for mine a few years ago and absolutely love it. I've been eyeing a Vortex, but don't think I'd use it enough.

https://www.cast-iron-grate.com

Here is another one. They have their strengths but do take some time to get seasoned just like regular cast iron cookware, meaning they aren't for everyone basically.

Vortex allows you to focus high heat in a specific spot allowing you to give the sear marks some love. It also allows for low and slow as it keeps the heat off an area as well so you can place food there keeping the temps lower.

I don't have a performer I've got the plain old weber kettle and still love it. I want to get the performer in a few years.

They Craycort grates are really nice. I just couldn't resist the Stok, at about half the price. Less versatility than the Craycort though.

They Craycort grates are really nice. I just couldn't resist the Stok, at about half the price. Less versatility than the Craycort though.

My wife eats a lot of veggies, a very good thing and I need to do better myself, so that's why I got the craycort grates.

I think Tri-tip is one of the easier big cuts to do. Only rule is don't over cook it or it gets tough. Its thick enough to easily put a probe in to check meat temp. Pull at 130-135, tent and let it rest for 10-15 min, slice across the grain and serve!

They usually have several different prepackaged (marinated) Tri Tips at Costco that have always turned out mouth watering good.

mortons.jpg

Baby steps, Mike. :) But you need to fire one up with your new sous vide, stat!

And here I have been using my Weber Kettle "stock" for 10 years now. Who knew they had all these mods out there for it!

I think Tri-tip is one of the easier big cuts to do. Only rule is don't over cook it or it gets tough. Its thick enough to easily put a probe in to check meat temp. Pull at 130-135, tent and let it rest for 10-15 min, slice across the grain and serve!

They usually have several different prepackaged (marinated) Tri Tips at Costco that have always turned out mouth watering good.

mortons.jpg

It's tough to find it here. TJ's carries it, but I've always found theirs to be kind of tough. Can get great ones at Wegman's, but they want $11/pound! :sh

Try in the SV for 2-3 hours at 128-130. Then sear to finish before resting.

Costco baby! $6.99/lb

dsc00235.jpg

I have also found this "Guy Fieri" Marinated Tri Tip at Costco. It was good as well.

images_blog_images_2_recipe_guy-fieri_guy-fiery-beef-2.jpg

Wife finally bought the ground beef at Costco and the charcoal.
I think it's going to happen tomorrow as I've been freaking busy at work.
But I am seeing videos where folks do a first run with no food to burn off any oils or other stuff that may be in the unit from the manufacturing process. True?

Yep, did it a while ago, lots of smokes at first and then when the coal was in fire I close the vents half way.
I know you guys do not trust the integrated thermostat on these toys but man it got HOT and it was showing just a bit over 500F [emoji4]

I know that number may not be true 100% but I really think it was way up there in that vicinity for sure.

Got the white onions and green onions chopped and added a bit of garlic and adobo, meat is ready for patties tomorrow...yippee

I am closing all the vents now after an hour hot burn so the fire goes out.
Also, the handle on this gets real hot and can burn your hand, they should have built this better.

ImageUploadedByWine Making1499994677.620640.jpg
ImageUploadedByWine Making1499995201.945487.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back