Using bananas in a gooseberry wine for body

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DomR

Reaction score
I have a quick question. My gooseberries are ripe and the chipmunks are going for them so i have to start the wine now. My dilemma is that in this area no one carries frozen white grape juice anymore. All chains big and small have stopped. I do have a gooseberry recipe (1 of 3) that uses bananas and white raisins for body. First I need to simmer the sugar and thinly sliced bananas for 20 minutes. My question is do I peel them before I slice them. I seem to have a recollection way back that for body you use them peel and all. The recipe does not say.

I just answered my own question. I need to visit the threads more thoroughly. Seems this question has been asked before. Some do and some don't but using the skins can give more body.

I use bananas (occasionally) to add body and prefer to use the peels with the fruit to extract available tannins - but the bananas I use are way over ripe (the skins being black)

Latest posts

Back