Slurry Question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jocelyn

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I haven't made much wine lately and was thinking of throwing together a quick batch of skeeter pee. I currently have a Merlot in the primary. I know that skeeter pee takes on the flavor of its slurry, I am thinking a skeeter pee that is Merlot flavored may be a little gross. What do you guys think? Is it worth a go or should I wait till I have another wine or try to create my own slurry from scratch?

Hi guys,

I haven't made much wine lately and was thinking of throwing together a quick batch of skeeter pee. I currently have a Merlot in the primary. I know that skeeter pee takes on the flavor of its slurry, I am thinking a skeeter pee that is Merlot flavored may be a little gross. What do you guys think? Is it worth a go or should I wait till I have another wine or try to create my own slurry from scratch?

I have noticed the slurry will have more of a change in color more than taste. I see nothing wrong in using your Merlot slurry. And you don't even have to use a wine slurry at all. I just started a Lemon Lime version and just used the yeast without the slurry. What ever you decide have fun with it and enjoy it when it's finished.

Will

When you use it without the slurry do you just sprinkle it on the top like you would with a normal wine? Or is there some special way I should prepare it? That again if you say there is no flavour difference I guess I could just use my one from the Merlot

I haven't used a slurry so I can't advise on that... but I make a starter with the yeast over about 12 hours, then add when it's going full bore (only for skeeter pee, every other wine I've made I just pitch dry). There are others that have sprinkled dry yeast directly in and it's been fine. I'm impatient so I didn't want to have to repitch if it died. EC-1118 is a workhorse though.

When you use it without the slurry do you just sprinkle it on the top like you would with a normal wine? Or is there some special way I should prepare it? That again if you say there is no flavour difference I guess I could just use my one from the Merlot

I've never made a starter with any of my wines. But with Skeeter Pee sprinkling on top usually takes a couple of days to get rolling.

I've thought about making SP and using blue raspberry Jolly Ranchers for flavor. The only slurry I will have in the next few days will be from a Blackberry wine I'm about to rack to secondary. Would it be better to make a starter instead?

Latest posts

Back