VCSS Maintenance

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Two of my tank lids seemed to have develop a slow air leak.

I tried using soapy water to determine where the leak was, but was unsuccessful. It turns out that the leak was caused by the hand pump itself. I unscrewed the valve a little too much and the valve stem came out of the pump. When I looked at it, I noticed that the o-rigs were completely shot.

I was completely stunned to find that our local Lowes had just the right 2 sizes of o rings in their plumbing department. they came by the 20 count, so I had plenty of them to spare.

I ended up replacing all of the O-rings on all of my tanks. I also took the opportunity to apply a nice dab of keg lube to the valves as well. Now all the pumps are as good as new!

I do not know if anyone else has had this problem, so be advised, those O-rings to wear out over time and can be easily replaced. You do not need to spend the $60 or $80 to replace the entire pump. I replaced all of the O-rings on all of my pumps for about $5.

All the o-rings are easy to replace. John is right, you want to keep the o-rings and pump lubricated. The o-rings are all available at the hardware store. The pump is always the first thing I look at when I have a lid not holding pressure.

I take it that "keg lube", which is meant to be used in/around beer kegs, is exactly the right thing to use. guaranteed to be food safe.

Latest posts

Back