What kind of wire? Would aluminium work?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ioan

Junior
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm building a grape vine arbor in the back yard I was looking to buy some metal wire rope to use for the lines... but that's so expensive! I need 310 feet of line and a roll of 500 feet of vinyl covered metal rope is about $60. For $10 I can get 500 feet of aluminum wire used for electric fences...

What do you guys recommend, should I spend the $60?

Here is the structure I built for the grapes:

muSjjjR.jpg

Last edited:
Spend the extra. I've used Al for fences and it stretches. Best I've found so far is the heavy double strand smooth wire. It's basically barbed wire without the barbs. Got it at the local farm supply and it's usually used for corners braces, cross ties and brace ties not the fence itself.

They usually have 12ga single strand used for fencing or the same as the 2 strand. Use a heavy wire.

Nice job, if you are going to use it as a pergola and put a table and chairs under it to drink wine:h. And you are not going to trim it but let it grow over the frame for shade, I think the aluminum wire will be fine, the frame will take most of the weigh. If you are going to go that way I would think about some cross bars on the top.

Electric fence wire is very small diam/light ga. Under any stress it will break. 500' for $10.00 should be an indicator!! I think you would regret it. Just trying to save you having to redo it, your $$$ and your choice, just my experience..

Latest posts

Back