What R you doing today?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Enjoying the "quiet before the storm". Taking advantage of this period between bottling and the fall crush to take everything out of the winery for a good cleaning. Gonna pressure was the floor too!

After that, my butt has a date with a chair (out on my deck and with a nice bottle of something). Gona sit out there and do some nice, relaxed, sippin!

Managed to get the ceiling textured and also sponged coat 2 and put down what will hopefully be the third and final coat of compound for the walls. Need to pick up another bucket of compound tonight before the daycare pool party so that I have it and am ready in case I need it. If its not needed I'll donate it to my son who is remodeling his office. Yesterday we picked up the hardwood flooring. It will be a natural red oak. Any luck I'll start and finish that project next Saturday and be able to move furniture back in.

Suffering paralysis from over-analysis. Blend or bottle? My chief bottler goes back to school tomorrow....

This summer has just been busy, we have not had time to even enjoy our camp this summer. Went up today and picked elderberries, got enough for a three gallon batch but there is still a crap load that has not ripened yet. We are headed back up next weekend, thinking of going up Friday after work, pick in the morning and then getting home in time for our first granddaughter's first birthday. Boy we are going to be so dead if we miss that but it's the elderberry time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My chief bottler goes back to school tomorrow....

Then the answer is "blend". Unless your chief bottler can take care of things overnight.

Tonight, I got the lawn cut, a bottle of DB emptied, and the yeast pitched for my blueberry port. Off to Busch Gardens in the am. Watching Foo Fighters "Skin and Bones" now.

Last edited:
My grilling was rudely interrupted by this hot air balloon flying right over my deck. They were close enough to ask what was for dinner without even hollering. After dinner I washed and froze 150 pounds of crabapples. Next to them I also have 30 pounds of red currents. Just the mention of needing a larger freezer would be like signing my own death certificate.

Crabapples 8.16.13.jpg

Balloon 003.jpg

Balloon 002.jpg

Pickin Pickin. Elderberries are ready in most spots here in the Hudson Valley of NY

I'm cleansing and sanitizing 90 bottles today so I can bottle 30 bottles of standard Zin, 30 bottles of Old Vine Zin and 30 bottles of Barbaresco.....................that clears up the carboys for 6 gallons of Gawurtraminer, 6 gallons of Semillon Chardonnay, and 6 gallons of Calf Chardonnay.

Whew, I love this hobby.

Sanitized more bottles and dropped the bottler back off at school. This is the last year of me paying for 2 tuitions in the same year.

Looking to get up tomorrow and start a Raspberry Dragonfruit White Shiraz and another original Skeeter Pee. I'm going to add some oak to the Beaugelois to the "hint of oak" taste.

Started five gallons of Apfelwein, Racking Skeeter Pee into secondary, breaking the cap on Pinot Noir primary, and trying to keep my wife from throwing me out of the house for invading our dining room :)
photo.jpg

Started a strawberry today...cleaning pool, completing another wine rack,cutting grass,weed eating and at the end...opening some cold db and hitting the pool.

I am bottling 6 gallons of California Zinfandel, 6 gallons of Old Vine Zinfandel, and 6 gallons of Barbaresco. I'm anxious to see 90 bottles of little soldiers waiting for their new uniforms....The Army has grownith.....................I love this hobby.

Going to try to pick apples and crab apples from a friend's orchard to set up for some home made apple wine. And maybe finally start that Raspberry Dragonfruit WE kit.

Cleaned out the main fridge too many left over wines in quarts, pints and half gallon bottles. Needed room for food! LOL

We had almost 1/2 a gallon a black cherry pinot noir that we forgot to pull when we added the fruit pack and then later bottled. Note to self: don't forget to check both fridges for left overs when adding f-pack and or bottling.

Poured it into a 1.50ml and added Torani Red Raspberry syrup to back flavor.

OMGosh it tasted like black raspberry! Between our neighbors and us, we killed the 1.50ml bottle while sitting on our deck. We all liked it. It was truly a one of kind wine that was very good.

Made chicken pies for my son's birthday dinner tomorrow night. Also conned my son and son-in-law into bottleing the Strawberry Merlot tomorrow night. Getting ready to pack my suitcase, leaving Tuesday morning for 4 days in Napa. Yahoo! Bakervinyard

Latest posts

Back