Use the Pink Stuff also !

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ypedal

Junior
Reaction score
As one of the most important things with DIY wine making, you must keep your equipment clean !!

I do my best to always rinse buckets and carboys right away after a transfer, before things dry up and get cruddy.. then go back and sanitize everything before i put it away.

The White Stuff, sodium metabisulfite, is a disinfectant, not so much a good cleaner.

Oh, while on this topic, i'm sure i am not the only one who reacts badly with the Metabisulfite powder / mixing / using.. fumes... and for years i struggled using it without having to take an allergy pill..

Best idea EVER... got myself a proper breathing mask with Carbon Filters !!.. pop that sucker on and breath well .. while you sanitize your gear. .. i also use blue nitrile gloves form Costco.

Anywho... the point of this story... I gave up using the pink solution years ago for the same reason, allergic reactions... and with proper cleaning, rinsing etc. .. i thought everything was good, until yesterday !!

I have a primary fermenter, must be 15 years old, clean, but had a slight ring in the middle and a bit of tarnish.. poured a full carboy that i had soaking in pink mix for a few days....

with a good soak ( like.. a few hours.. at least ) then a multiple rinse to get all the slime out.. sparkling clean once again like it was brand new !.

On to the next batch !

Pink stuff?

A lot of folks use Star San to sanitize. Haven't used it myself but I believe there are no fumes.

Last edited:
Star San with no fumes. Get a spray bottle and use distilled water and just keep it handy.

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

Last edited:
Use oxyclean for the cleaner. Just make sure you get the one that's unscented and no bleach. Oxyclean is alkaline, so when you follow up with starsan, you really annihilate the germs. Not one single issue in over 15 years. (knock wood)

it's a chlorinated / alakline pink powerder, quite common and sold under a pile of different names..

i was just surprised how my old bucket came out good as new .. lol..

Use the oxyclean with the green top.

Sent from my iPad using Wine Making

it's a chlorinated / alakline pink powerder, quite common and sold under a pile of different names..

i was just surprised how my old bucket came out good as new .. lol..

I won't be using anything that is chlorinated. Chlorine is a contributor to the production of TCA, the compound that causes a moldy, musty cork taint.
http://www.pinterest.com/pin/create/extension/

Latest posts

Back