RJ Spagnols Anybody made a Rosso Grande Eccelente lately

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

terroirdejeroir

Reaction score
I don't know if I am getting old or if I need to cut back on my wine consumption, but I am confused. I recently started a RJS CCWS Rosso Grande Eccelente. It has finished secondary fermentation, so I was planning to age it on the oak cubes that came with it as I typically do.

I can't find the oak cubes, so I thought maybe my notes were in error and it didn't come with cubes. My notes say it came with "30g french medium shavings, 30g french heavy dust, and 30g ?Hungarian? oak cubes". When I look at the RJS site is says the kit is supplied with untoasted American oak in primary and makes no mention of any cubes. Did I dream all of this?

For those of you who have made one of these kits recently, can you tell me what quantity and type of oak came with the kit.

I made this kit in Aug, 2012, and my notes show a 60 gr bag of toasted oak and and some untoasted oak shavings but no cubes.
It's been in the carboy for, my gosh, 19 months so it's time to bottle. Didn't realize it was that long!

I started the kit in January of this year. It's currently clearing in secondary. I know for sure it came with wood shavings (like sawdust). I remember this because the racking cane kept getting clogged; I ended up losing quite a bit of wine as a result of stirring up lees, even with cheese cloth over the intake.

Latest posts

Back