My first Beer

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I racked my #3 batch of beer today, the Spagnols kit 15ltr must for a
total 23ltr kit, The directions said 3 to 5 days once the foam is gone
rack, well it boiled for a day and a half and went dead, checked today,
day 3 and there was no foam, so I racked it at a SG of 1.017,
directions said rack if below 1.020.

2005-05-22_143126_cream_ale_rack.jpg

2005-05-22_143215_cream_ale.jpg

STINK, you can't imagine the stink of the lee's or whatever you call the crud on the bottom of beer!!

I just opened one bottle from batch #1 to check for carbonation, it was
perfect!!! nice and clear carbonated just right and actually tastes
like beer!! I am going perch fishing so I had a sip and dumped it down
the sink....spaz attack!! after I thought maybe I should have waited
till tonight and drank it but I thought it wouldn't be good yet and
then I thought how nice a picture would be ...DUH

Maybe I'll try one more tonight after all there are 62 bottles left.

OK I tried another beer (I had to it's a test) and it's just fine, funny how it tastes so good when it's your own brewsky...lol

2005-05-27_170410_1st_beer_glass.jpg

Okay, I have read NO posts about this, but it dang looks like a hefeweizen - cloudy and so dark!!! But the wrong glass... That's a pilsner glass...

Sorry, my 9 years in Germany taint me. Beer is, believe it or not, like wine there. It even depends on the glass/krug you use. That's definitely a pilsner glass.
smiley2.gif

A hefeweizen glass is more of the "women's shape" kind of glass. Small at the ankles HUGE at the hips, kinda small on top.

smiley36.gif

I drink all beer in big mugs at home that I keep in the freezer. I make sure they are wet when I put them in so they will get very frosty. They hold about 22 ounces each. I also have some very tall Pilsner glasses from here and there that I collect. I also keep them in the freezer and I don't care what kind of beer is drank in them. They only hold about 20 ounces. I like the handle on the mug for when my grip gets relaxed later in the evening. Know what I mean?

smiley36.gif

Greetings and Salutations.I just starting brewing my first batch last night. I purchased the Brewers Best kit with the Traditional European Bock indgrediant kit. It was an adventure to say the least. Everything was going well until i was done with the malt grains and I had to bring it to a boil and it wouldn't boil. It sat there forever but it wouldn't get hotter then 192 degrees. I deduced the problem to be the pot. I purchased a 20 quart pot from george and it was to large for my stove, to much heat displacment im guessing. So I transfered it into two smaller pots then almost instantly they both started boiling. I divided up my ingredients and boiled for an hour, which went well no boil over. Then I transfered the two pots back into the big one and cooled it down in a sink of ice. What kind of scared me was i looked at the bottom of one of my pots, it was an enamal one, and some of the the bottom was missing in a small spot. I siphoned the wort from the big pot to the fermenting bucket but im still worried that little pieces of the the pot are in there and is that going to hurt someone or affect the taste of the beer. Anywho it has already started to bubble in the airlock now im just waiting for it to stop bubbling so i can put it into the carboy for the second stage. Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated as i am a new to this. Thanks

Welcome to the forum, Quigs!

Porcelain is just what, stone? Clay? I wouldn't worry about little pieces of that, you can leave it behind in the bucket when you rack.

Welcome Quigs, I thought this first batch was going to be trashed, but
it turned out to be good tasting beer, hang in there, keep everything
sanitized and you will be fine.

I bottled my other two batches of beer today, was stuck at the house playing with my possibly defective cookshack.

2005-06-02_151202_beer_bottles_001.jpg

I have 3 from my first batch in the fridge for tonight!! And tonight starts NOW!!

Have a bottle of my continental light and one cream ale in the fridge
for tonight (test) just did the math, they are around 3 1/2% alcohol,
no wonder my first batch kicks my butt, it's 5.5% !!

Beer tasting...I'm not sure but it's possible I don't like HOPS!! (that'll put me on mastas favorites list)

My continental light is bitter, I think that's what hops does.

My cream ale is a little better but neither compare to the American
light I made with no hops, too bad for the extra sugar I put in (what
if I make another batch without the sugar and it's not as good??
wouldn't that be a hoot??) these beers need to age though, I just
tested them to see if the carbonation was OK.

Continental light:

2005-06-16_170603_test_beer_2_3_001.jpg

Cream ale:

2005-06-16_170703_test_beer_2_3_002.jpg

Yes it does look very good, specially since I am starting my weekend off! On the alcohol topic, commercial beer here is 6% abv., so you need to step that up some!

smiley2.gif

You don't make my list for not liking hops.....it isn't beer with some hops! I love a good IPA with 6 or 7 hop additions!
smiley32.gif

What commercial beer are you drinking Country that is 6% abv?

The amount of hops depends on what type of food you have with the beer. Remember to pair beer with food like wine. It just add to the over all experience of trying new kinds.

Chris

masta said:
You don't make my list for not liking hops.....it isn't beer with some hops! I love a good IPA with 6 or 7 hop additions!
smiley32.gif

What commercial beer are you drinking Country that is 6% abv?

The guy at the keg distribution place said all beer in Arkansas is 6%. I reckon we deserve it after driving 70 miles round trip to stock up. Is he lying? I just drank my last Heineken after many this weekend.
smiley6.gif

NOW here is a kick in the pants...I was doing erands today ( I rented a
carpet cleaner yesterday and cleaned all the carpets in the house)
anyway, I was down town (22 miles away) and was thinking a beer with
some HOPS sure would go down good tonight!! felt that need for a good
throat scratching!!! well, my ribs on the cookshack (thanks country
this thing is AWSOME!!) won't be done for 45 more minutes and my one
HOPPY beer that was in the fridge is gone bybye!! Ya it's only 5:15
here, I'm gonna need a nap after I hit the ribs..lol

She's a smokin' (it's hard to see the smoke but it's coming out the
top) I can't get the picture to load, just take my word for it..lol

HEY, I just opened a cream ale, what a difference a week makes totally different flavor!! tastes like....uummm....CREAM?

Back