Cellar Craft Chateau du Pays - top up wine?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kat50496

Reaction score
Getting ready to rack my CC Showcase Chateau du Pays out of secondary and am wondering about choices for top up wines. I know that the volume usually isn't very significant, but in this case I'm trying to end up with a very clear wine, and anticipate needing to use a little more top up volume than usual.

This being said, I'm leaning towards buying a commercial Mourvedre to use in keeping with the more traditional recipe - the kit literature states that Carignan is used with the Syrah and Grenache. I understand why, in that Carignan is probably more accessible to the kit manufacturers than the lower yield Mourvedre. The down side is, Mourvedre is a little hard to find as a varietal, and therefore will be more expensive to use (I may even have to order it from my wine merchant).

Guess I'd just like to get some opinions from you all since you have much more experience with this kit as apparent in the forum topics. Any comments are appreciated.

Isn't that the way it always goes? After posting the question on top up wine for this kit, I saw a link to essentially the same question from early last year. Looks like most used a commercial GSM for this kit. I think I may still look for a reasonable Mourvedre varietal, I do like it and will happily drink whatever is left!

Now to decide which Italian blend I want to do next - CC Showcase Rosso Fortissimo or the RJS Super Tuscan - Any suggestions????

So do I Robie, and I know that the RJS Winery Series Super Tuscan has gotten some super reviews on this forum. But, the CC Showcase Rosso is also billed as a super tuscan:

Super-Tuscan styled wine vinted from Cabernet Sauvignon,Merlot, Sangiovese and other native Italian varieties. Fermented on Yakima crushed Merlot grapes

And as George has the Showcase series on special this month, the price is right!

Now to decide which Italian blend I want to do next - CC Showcase Rosso Fortissimo or the RJS Super Tuscan - Any suggestions????

Made them both and love them both. If I HAD to choose (and could not buy both), I would go with the Super Tuscan

Latest posts

Back