HELP Almond wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sammyk

Reaction score
So I have it in a pail for 5 days. Fermentation has stopped, no bubbles, no sound, very strong alchol taste. Starting sg was 1.090 now it is 1.000

Directions are not clear on many different recipes for the Almond wine, just to rack to secondary in 5 or 6 days.

No directions to add sparkeloid, k-meta or sorbate. Do I add these now?

There is really nothing to strain
Can some one help?

Almond Wine

Makes 1 Gallon I did make 2 gallons
Like a mild amaretto.
Ingredients

• 1 cup whole almonds
• 2 lemons, juice and rind
• 1 1/2 pounds light raisins
• 5 cups granulated sugar
• 1 teaspoon yeast nutrient
• 1 campden tablet
• 1 teaspoon pectic enzyme
• 1 package wine yeast
• water

Chop almonds and raisins finely in a food processor. DO NOT over process almonds or you will end up with almond butter.
Place in a large pot and cover with water. Simmer for
1 hour, adding water periodically to prevent scorching. Strain out solids and place liquid in primary fermentor. I had them in a bag and removed the bag

Add water to make up to 1 gallon and all other ingredients except the yeast. Let sit overnight. Check specific gravity --
it should be between 1.090 and 1.100. Add yeast. Stir daily for five or six days, until frothing stops. This may be slow to start fermenting.

Strain. Siphon into secondary fermentor and attach airlock.

For a dry wine, rack in three weeks, and every three months for one year. Bottle.

For a sweet wine, rack at three weeks. Add 1/2 cup sugar dissolved in 1 cup wine. Stir gently, and place back into secondary fermentor.

Repeat process every six weeks until fermentation does not restart with the addition of sugar. Rack every three months until one year old. Bottle.

I should have added it is a very cloudy medium yellow color.

You need to add sulfites now and degas it so it will clear as trapped C02 will prevent your wine from clearing. If you plan on sweetening this wine you should also add sorbate. You dont need to add a fining as time will usually clear a wine but if you feel so inclined you can use a fining agent such as Superkleer at this point.

What threw us off is that once you have it in the secondary was to add sugar warmed in a glass of the wine.

Now that I think about it, this is supposed to be like Amaretto which is kind of sweet tasting.

So am I right in thinking that we should wait to use k-metta and sorbate?

Never add either of these two chems while its fermenting or you will stress the yeast and possibly cause off flavors.

We are going to move it to secondaries today and see what happens with the air lock.

Am I correct that it wants one to add the airlock wait 3 weeks and then add the sugar?

Latest posts

Back