What's new in your cellar?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One of these things is not like the other......... :m

Guess time will tell.

Yep, those reviews are worlds apart. Can't help but notice the very "Napalike" pricing on your little WallWalla gem............LOL!!

Parker's reviews of a whole pile of wines from the NW just came out in the last issue, there are some really solid powerhouses in there. I've been eying some of the Quilceda Creek big boys (and a bunch of others) and getting really tempted to try a few of the highly rated, but competitively priced, syrahs..........

LOL You know all to well if it were "Napalike" the price would be more like 2-3X for that wine. ;)

There are not many wines out of WA State with price tags North of $100.

You need to start looking North for some little "gems"!

Yep, those reviews are worlds apart. Can't help but notice the very "Napalike" pricing on your little Walla Walla gem............LOL!!

LOL You know all to well if it were "Napalike" the price would be more like 2-3X for that wine. ;)

There are not many wines out of WA State with price tags North of $100.

You need to start looking North for some little "gems"!

When they get the ratings, the bucks will follow!!!!

All kidding aside, there are some pretty high priced wines coming out of Napa. I guess if money were not an issue, they'd be great to have. I buy some moderately priced, high rated wines, but not too much into the cult wine range. It's hard to buy a super expensive wine when you could spend the same money for a case or two of a wine that's in the low 90's. I suspect we'll see the NW wines creep up in price as they continue to test the market.

IMG_0881.jpg

Last edited:
Went into town after work to get a haircut. Stopped by the Smith's Marketplace. Big mistake as usual. LOL

They had quite a few new Rose' wines in stock. Two that stuck out right away were the Elouan Oregon Rose' that @Boatboy24 said was quite good as well as a Tenshen Rose' from the Golden State no less. The 2014 Tenshen White wine made #29 on the WS Top Wines of 2015. In the spirit of Détente here on WMT. 3 bottles of each are now resting quietly in the cellar tonight. Scores after the break as they say!

IMG_2380.jpg

Screen Shot 2017-07-12 at 4.27.55 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-07-12 at 4.28.51 PM.png

Last edited:
I hope you like the Elouan. It had really good ratings on the TW site, which prompted me to try it. I try to take those with a little grain of salt, but I was pleasantly surprised by it based on my expectations.

I am sure I will. The thing about OR wines is the acid and crispness that comes out of their rose' and white wines. I love me some crisp wine this time of year especially.

I hope you like the Elouan. It had really good ratings on the TW site, which prompted me to try it. I try to take those with a little grain of salt, but I was pleasantly surprised by it based on my expectations.

WA just released a pile of reviews from WA State, I've already gotten into the game with a few of them, pre-release, and now it's going to get tougher to choose. @ibglowin , I don't know if you subscribe to WA, but it's a pretty dang good read!!

IMG_0890.jpg

I have been with WS for 9 years IIRC. I trusted Harvey Steiman's Reviews without question over the years. WS promoted him to Editor at Large about a year ago and Tim Fish took over for WA and OR wines. I am sorry but Tim Fish has lived (and continues to live) in the Napa/Sonoma Valley area for 25 years and IMHO he is woefully biased against WA and OR wines. I am about ready to "cut bait and run" on WS as I don't feel like I can trust Tim Fish's reviews at all.

The 12th Annual Washington Wine Awards Winners Are In!

Seattle Magazine

Good read on some great vineyards and great wines out of WA State. Very happy for my buddy Chris Peterson at Avennia. He has been killing it for several years now. Well deserved "winemaker of the year" award! :db

The 12th Annual Washington Wine Awards Winners Are In!

Seattle Magazine

Good read on some great vineyards and great wines out of WA State. Very happy for my buddy Chris Peterson at Avennia. He has been killing it for several years now. Well deserved "winemaker of the year" award! :db

Very cool. Your buddy?

Nice to see some names I recognize - some have been in my glass and some are still on the 'to-do' list. But good nonetheless.

One of these days (probably several years from now, when the kids are in college or out of the house), I'll make my pilgrimage to WA.

Yea, we both have Microsoft Millionaires in the family. Who knew...... :)

Met several years ago at the winery for a private tasting. :sm

Very cool. Your buddy?

Nice to see some names I recognize - some have been in my glass and some are still on the 'to-do' list. But good nonetheless.

One of these days (probably several years from now, when the kids are in college or out of the house), I'll make my pilgrimage to WA.

DrpForvPxdrQWAZXOGuyCLSQKJIZIZHFtbc4kPcwxezkLroeQeA3FYcLEf-c-jSXl8Apc8sfgYyFaJhRKseL3yM9T3SssFzG_AJBr6YPnCgH31Z23jbq5yCqVD8mwwlSrTZtc5w3xQ

Before you laugh... $3 a bottle on clearance! I got the last three.

I have bought plenty of those when I started out making kit wines long ago. Good top up wine and at least back then it was a really nice bottle to recycle.

Oh and the wine was not bad at all for the money spent!

Before you laugh... $3 a bottle on clearance! I got the last three.

I have bought plenty of those when I started out making kit wines long ago. Good top up wine and at least back then it was a really nice bottle to recycle.

Oh and the wine was not bad at all for the money spent!

Beats $9.47 each, for sure.

WS actually reviewed a Costco Kirkland Signature wine! I have had a couple of these. Pretty good for $8.99 a bottle.

Cotes-de-Provence-Rose-wine.jpg

Screen Shot 2017-08-15 at 9.56.37 AM.jpg

With the day off, I had some time to swing by TW. Grabbed a few bottles of CC Grand Estates Cab (always gotta have some around), a little Provence Rose, and a couple bottles of Kung Fu Girl Riesling - one of which I'll crack tonight.

Went to Santa fe yesterday. Mrs IB had a mani-pedi so I had several hours to kill. Made the rounds picking up stuff on our list. Last stop was at Susan's Fine Wines. One of the better local wine stores. I was searching for a wine I somehow had not heard about (hard to believe I know) Gruet is one of the best wineries in the State of NM especially their sparkling wines. They starting making a couple new ones that even the folks in CA and WA who write words on paper about wines for a living stood up and noticed. Gruet has gotten so much buzz over the last few years that, you guessed it Precept Wines the giant conglomerate snapped them up last year like they do with any winery that is well on its way and growing year in and year out. Still run the by the same French family but now they have access to all the $$$ they need for growth.

So the wine that is all the rage is called "Sauvage" which means "bone dry" or no extra sugar at the end to cut the acid. They produce a traditional White as well as a Rose' and sure enough Susan's had both in stock. MSRP is $20 a bottle. Snagged 2 of each. This is labeled as I suspected as an American Wine meaning the grapes were not grown here in NM, more than likely CA. Now I just need some raw oysters on the half shell or smoked salmon to pair with this! With the weather cooling down the last week or so its nice to have some bubbly around for who knows what.

IMG_2530.jpg

Screen Shot 2017-09-02 at 12.30.28 PM.png

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back