Complete newbie

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't look at that like raining on my parade I look at that as giving me information I didn't yet have, but my strawberry 1gal batch smells amazing so far and it's bubbling away but I'm not expecting it to be perfect and I know I'll learn as I go but thank you next batch I'll try frozen and do everything else the same and compare what difference there is in the two batches

You're already way ahead of the game having found this site right from the jump.
I made wine for years from seasonal juice with minimal knowledge passed on from family with minimal knowledge. Made same amazing mediocre wine over the years! Ran into an issue (caused by lack of knowledge) and had no clue what to do and stumbled upon this forum. -- I learned more in one year than I had being around winemaking the 33 yrs of life prior.
Sometimes a question answered by a pro will have you scratching your head and asking 10 more questions. Whereas someone with similar experience has a way of explaining something in a way you can easily comprehend.

You're already way ahead of the game having found this site right from the jump.
I made wine for years from seasonal juice with minimal knowledge passed on from family with minimal knowledge. Made same amazing mediocre wine over the years! Ran into an issue (caused by lack of knowledge) and had no clue what to do and stumbled upon this forum. -- I learned more in one year than I had being around winemaking the 33 yrs of life prior.
Sometimes a question answered by a pro will have you scratching your head and asking 10 more questions. Whereas someone with similar experience has a way of explaining something in a way you can easily comprehend.

When I found this site I felt like I struck gold I started reading so many threads and saw lots of information too much to take in at once and I love that everyone is so welcoming that's one thing I noticed about every crafting community I have joined tons of support across the board

Hi Candy - and welcome.
Strawberries tend to be very low in acidity and that can mean that the color will drop out of the wine (think strawberry blonde). To keep more of the strawberry color you may need to add a little acidity (normally, you want to avoid adding any acidity - despite what "recipes" suggest: yeast does not need acidity and in fact too much acidity can stall the fermentation - You want to keep the pH above about 3.2. A pH of 3.0 is often low enough to prevent the yeast from metabolyzing sugar).

Hi Candy - and welcome.
Strawberries tend to be very low in acidity and that can mean that the color will drop out of the wine (think strawberry blonde). To keep more of the strawberry color you may need to add a little acidity (normally, you want to avoid adding any acidity - despite what "recipes" suggest: yeast does not need acidity and in fact too much acidity can stall the fermentation - You want to keep the pH above about 3.2. A pH of 3.0 is often low enough to prevent the yeast from metabolyzing sugar).

Thanks I'll take note of that !

Latest posts

Back