Packlab What to do with cheap Riesling kit

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ramfan13

Junior
Reaction score
Any suggestions for improving a cheap Packlab Riesling kit. Should I make it to 5 gallons. I wanted to make it to six and maybe add some frozen white grape concentrate, but I just can't find any at any stores close to me. I am thinking of adding golden raisins or fruit. Any suggestions. Thanks.

John

what about a box of golden rasins and enough sugar to bring the SG to about 1.100 and make 6 gal.

Any suggestions for improving a cheap Packlab Riesling kit. Should I make it to 5 gallons. I wanted to make it to six and maybe add some frozen white grape concentrate, but I just can't find any at any stores close to me. I am thinking of adding golden raisins or fruit. Any suggestions. Thanks.

John

I would make 5 gal and add a box of golden raisons to 2ndary then use water for topping up when needed

I would make 5 gal and add a box of golden raisons to 2ndary then use water for topping up when needed

This is what I am leaning towards now I guess. I had a problem when I added raisins to secondary for my Barolo kit. I put it in a 5 gallon carboy and made the kit to 5 gallons. It ended up foaming over quite a bit and I had trouble getting it to stop, made a big mess. Have you found any issues with raisins starting the fermentation going again in secondary

My experience with this Riesling kit is that it is an 'ok' white wine but not a good Riesling. I don't think you can do much to make it a decent Riesling. If you are happy with a generic white wine, the tweaks will make it better. If you want to enhance its 'Riesling' qualities, I think you are out of luck.

I have used raisins several times with no foaming issues. On a cheap kit, I would make it to 5 1/2 gal. Then rack it from the primary bucket into a carboy with the raisins at about 1.020. This should not cause any foaming problems. Let it sit about 10 days - 2 weeks, then it should be dry and the raisins will have given up all they can.

This is something to think about. Do you just use plain sugar. Any idea if this would e taste

have used table sugar and it does not effect the taste. use it in a simple syrup. Take part of your water add your sugar and heat. Do not boil, that will drive out the O2 and the yeasties need it to start fermentation. stir constantly and take it off the heat as soon as the sugar blends into the water. As long as you do not put so much sugar in that it overwhelms the yeast, the sugar will turn to alcohol. f you can get to a S.G. of about 1.100 you will be fine.

ramfan what yeast strain do you plan on using? The cheap end kits tend to use the same yeast strain on different flavored kits fi-red and white and the yeast strain can and will change the profile of the wine

I would be cautious of using to high a sg on a cheap kit. as the wine will be low in flavor the alcohol will be the predominate factor.

I would add dried elderflowers to the fermentation. this will add a distinct flavor and provide you with a Piesporter style wine.

I would be cautious of using to high a sg on a cheap kit. as the wine will be low in flavor the alcohol will be the predominate factor.

I would add dried elderflowers to the fermentation. this will add a distinct flavor and provide you with a Piesporter style wine.

I like that idea, have to see if I can find any. Thanks for the idea.

An SG of 1.100-.998=13.3%ABV. Is this too high for a kit?

an alcohol content of 13% for a good kit is not high if proper in balance that is flavor, acid, sugar and tannin along with the alcohol. with a cheaper kit the lack of flavor will cause the alcohol taste to be predominate, thus the cautionary statement.
one method to overcome this taste is to add sugar syrup in a bench trial, the sugar will balance out the alcohol taste yet not necessarily make a sweet wine, in fact it may bring forward what little fruit taste is in the wine.

Back